Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wooden Lan. Fus. Chest

Guest Trapper44

Guest Trapper44

I recently purchased a antique wooden chest. After cleaning it up and removing the marker pen on the front it revealed some writing. Cannot seem to load pictures but could email them to someone who could help. THe printing says Capt. G/AT Baker. The Lan. Fus. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be Captain Godfrey La Touche Baker?

Entered France 29/07/1916.

Lieutenant Royal Warwicks and Captain Lancashire Fusiliers.

Silver War Badge (can't find entry on Ancestry).

Medal Index Card advises claimed medals in 1922 with an address of Wetaskwin?, Alta, Canada.

There also seems to be a London Gazette reference, perhaps meaning an MID, but his name doesn't appear in the History of the Lancashire Fusiliers, perhaps with the Warwicks?

Rgds

Tim D

Guest Trapper44

Thank you Tim you are absolutely correct. I bought this chest in Wetaskiwin Ab. The writing is not very clear but now I see that it is Capt. G La T Baker. Not sure how to get your email but I would love to send you some pictures very unique chest. Thanks again and any more info would be appreciated. Gary

That's great Gary,

I will e-mail you back his Medal Index Card (against the rules to post here). I will troll through the history and see if I can see his name. I am sure there is more information about him around somewhere.

Here is his Commission into the Lancashire Fusiliers in the London Gazette (promoted from 2Lt to Lt on the same date):

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29448/supplements/978/page.pdf

Rgds

Tim D

And this....

https://hermis.alberta.ca/paa/Details.aspx?st=%22Baker%2C+Godfrey%22&sort=department&ReturnUrl=%2Fpaa%2FSearch.aspx%3Fst%3D%2522Baker%252C%2BGodfrey%2522%26sort%3Ddepartment&dv=True&DeptID=1&ObjectID=PR2545

HISTORY/BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH: Godfrey LaTouche Baker was born in 1883 in Lancashire, England. He came to Alberta in 1910. He worked for the Alberta Central Railroad as a surveyor until 1912, the City of Edmonton Engineers Department from 1912-1913, the Canadian Northern Railway in 1913-1914. In 1915, he returned to England and enlisted in the British Army. He retired as a Captain in 1920, married his fiance Ethel, and came back to Wetaskiwin, Alberta. Godfrey and Ethel had one son, Charles, and a daughter Joan (Newby). In December 1923, he joined the staff of the Municipal District of Montgomery No.458 as Secretary-Treasurer and continued in that position with the new County of Wetaskiwin No.10 until his retirement in 1971. He was a life member of the Royal Canadian Legion and received the Meritorious Service Badge. He also worked with the Wetaskiwin Sea Cadets, taking over command during the Second World War and remaining in command for eight years. Godfrey LaTouche Baker passed away in 1980.

CUSTODIAL HISTORY: In 1968, Godfrey Baker donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. It's unknown how Godfrey Baker obtained the material.

SCOPE AND CONTENT: The fonds consists of photographs of the Edmonton area taken ca. 1913 by an unidentified photographer. The fonds features images of the University of Alberta buildings, the Civic Block of Edmonton, gold dredging at Edmonton, the High Level Bridge, Walter's Mill on the North Saskatchewan River, cadets on parade at Edmonton for Duke of Connaught's visit, Haymarket, the Exhibition track round Namao, a ditchdigger machine laying sewer pipes, the fire brigade around the Civic Block, the court house, soldiers from the Boer War, Namao Avenue during a flood, and Walter's Hill.

Rgds

Tim D

Photo from Gary.

TD

post-1563-0-39773300-1335660065.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi, Gary.  I realize that your post is few years old - our family just stumbled on it - but I'm Godfrey Baker's granddaughter.  My mother is his daughter, Joan.  Just wanted to let you know that the information Tim D. provided is accurate.  Do you live near Wetaskiwin, Gary?  Both sides of my family grew up in Wetaskiwin.  I have one cousin who still lives in the area.  Another cousin is in Edmonton.  The rest of us live in Vancouver or Victoria.  My mother is still alive (91) and lives near us here in Victoria.  We come back to Alberta every summer as we have a cottage at Pigeon Lake and we always pop into Wetaskiwin.  Would be most curious to know where you found the chest and if you still have it.  Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards, 

Ann Bozoian

Ann, sadly, Gary no longer belongs to the Forum: he obviously hasn't visited for some time and he has been deleted by the Moderators in a routine pruning of non-active members.

You could try contacting Blackblue: he might still have gary's e-mail address and could send him a message putting you in touch.

Thanks Steven,

Sorry Ann. I have had a look in my email archive and this goes back further than I have records. 

Tim

Edited by Blackblue