Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boot minutia: dubbin, polish, puttees, socks

Cardinal Biggles

Dave,

Attached is my PDF template of the M-Type Toe Plates.

Please note that this template has the toe plates re-sized to 3 3/8" wide so it would fit the toe of my size 10 (US) / 9 (UK) Lennon boots perfectly.

Eric

Cheers Eric, got this thanks & very helpful too.

Dave

Dave,

Glad it could be help out. I was going to have a machinist try to make me up some from some sheet steel which is why I re-sized it from my original size 3 1/4 toe plate to the 3 3/8" size. I think if you did 3 1/4" plates they would work well. That is what is on my Lennon boots and they fit almost perfectly.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have heard from the foundry who could re-make these toe plates if required. If anyone is interested in a business opportunity and wants more details please PM me.

Dave Upton

Just touching on whether soldiers of the Great War 'bulled' their boots. One of the few things that my grandfather ever discussed about his war service (1914 -1919) was that they were compelled to bull their boots and that this included filling the welts of their boots with polish! This always seemed a bit excessive but he was very explicit about it. This was in a Kitchener battalion of a 'normal' i.e. not Guards line infantry regiment.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

I'm an American, reenacting British/Candian Great War. Don't post much if at all and can't PM you for some reason...

But I am interested in these toe plates. Could you update on the status?

Thank you,

Clint

• 9 months later...

A pair of toe plates and heel irons for sale here on ebay. They look fine to me, if perhaps on the large side.

• 2 weeks later...

Just touching on whether soldiers of the Great War 'bulled' their boots. One of the few things that my grandfather ever discussed about his war service (1914 -1919) was that they were compelled to bull their boots and that this included filling the welts of their boots with polish! This always seemed a bit excessive but he was very explicit about it. This was in a Kitchener battalion of a 'normal' i.e. not Guards line infantry regiment.

Matthew.

Sorry, I can't add any more to this subject. The patterns and all other info relating to this subject were passed to Taff G of this forum (Chief Chum) some time ago, for him to see if he could progress the idea further, but I rather suspect not.

David