Free downloads from TNA Ă—
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS VITTORIA

GRAZ

Hi All

I recently bought a naval Victory to a guy who survived the sinking of Hms Vittoria when she was torpedoed by a Bolshevik sub in 1919. I wonder if anybody can tell me how many crew survived the sinking, my chap who was an Officers servant did.

Any info much appreciated

Cheers

Graham

Graham,

The torpedoing was reported in the Times for Sep 3 1919 (Times Digital Archive) when the following were reported missing believed drowned:

PO A.W. Clarey

Leading Seaman E.Mills

Able Seamen J. Bambridge, J. Pettit, E. Hutchings, L.W. Owers, J. Harness, W. Fearless.

The court-martial (in which the commander was exonerated of all blame) was reported on Feb 11 1920 and likewise states that eight crew lost their lives, the remainder being picked up by boats from ABDIEL. VITTORIA sank in five minutes.

sJ

Graham,

Happy to help. The names of the dead are listed on the Baltic Waters memorial in Portsmouth Cathedral - top of the second panel from the left.

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/churches/cathedral/baltic.htm

sJ

• 1 year later...
Guest Paul Leonard

My grandfather was aboard the Vittoria when she was torpedoed.

He said that the crew numbered about thirty of whom 8 died. He said that the survivors were picked up very quickly by the Abdiel boats (reckoned he was only in the water for ten minutes or so) and after going to the Abdiel were then transferred to the Ark Royal.

These were his recollections in 1986 when he was 88 and wrote a few of his experiences down. How good his memory was I am not sure (e.g. 30 seems a bit low to me for the crew but he does seem to have the number who died correct).

His other recollections include accounts of when he served aboard the Lord Nelson in the Dardanelles campaign.

• 1 month later...
Guest Igor Kozyr

Hi All,

I'm editor-in-chief of the Maritime Heritage Journal, St Petersburg.

In cooperation with the Submariners Club, St Petersburg and British Consulate we are going to organize memorial expedition to Koporskaya bay in August-September, 2014 to the HMS Vittoria wrecks.

Naval Attache Captain Fields told that possibly memebers of the Victory Class Asssociation (?) could rejoin us.

For sure relatives those who served on Vittoria would be honorary guest for that event.

In my turn, I wish to publish a paper narrates the story of sinking Vittoria and her localization in October 2013.

It will be very much appreciated your help and participation. If it possible send me, please, survivors recollections.

My e-mail: kozyrex@gmail.com

You can also adress to the Submariners Club submarinersclub@yandex.ru

or to Naval Attache Captain David Fields - david.fields@fco.gov.uk

Sincerely yours,

Captain (ret) Igor Kozyr

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

The Captain of H.M.S. VITTORIA when she was torpedoed and sunk on 1 September 1919 was Lieutenant Commander Vernon Hammersley-Heenan.