Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guard 1

MIC Interpretation

Guest Guard 1

I need help with a MIC. My man is FREDERICK A WHITE. It shows his first regiment as the R Berks R as a private number 15578 and first went to France on the 07/08/1915.

The first question I have is his battalion, I understand that the 8th battalion went to France on the 08/08/1915 the only battalion around this date. From this could we say for sure he was in this battalion or would he have been reinforcements sent to another battalion?

It goes on to show that he transfered into the Lab corps number 97710 and promoted to sargent.

From his service number can we find out the date he transfered and if he would have stayed in France?

He was entitled to a 1915 star trio and was finally placed on class Z on the 09/03/1919.

My last question is what is class Z?

Any help would be great.

Rowland.

HarryBettsMCDCM
I need help with a MIC. My man is FREDERICK A WHITE. It shows his first regiment as the R Berks R as a private number 15578 and first went to France on the 07/08/1915.

The first question I have is his battalion, I understand that the 8th battalion went to France on the 08/08/1915 the only battalion around this date. From this could we say for sure he was in this battalion or would he have been reinforcements sent to another battalion?

It goes on to show that he transfered into the Lab corps number 97710 and promoted to sargent.

From his service number can we find out the date he transfered and if he would have stayed in France?

He was entitled to a 1915 star trio and was finally placed on class Z on the 09/03/1919.

My last question is what is class Z?

Any help would be great.

Rowland.

8th is the Day the Battalion Landed, @ Le Havre;7th is the Day they Embarked from UK,just a Clerical Slip up you will frequently come across.

Class "Z" Reserve is the Normal Reserve,sent to/classed as before final Demob.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The LC number 97710 makes this soldier an original member of the Labour Corps. He would have transferred in the period February to April 1917. This number also corresponds to him being an original member of the 163rd Company, who were formed from the 12th Bn Royal Berkshire Regt.

Ian

Guest Guard 1

Many thanks for the information.

This looks to make thing clear.

He first went to france 08/08/1915 with 8th battalion.

Tranfered to the 12th batalion some time after the battalion arrived in france in June 1916.

This battalion then transfered to the labour corps in april 1917.

Finally being placed on class Z reserve 09/03/1919.

By the looks of these dates he was not involved in any fighting. As I think the first action the 8th battalion was involved in was on the first day of the somme after I guess he transfered.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guard,

You need either the medal roll, most likely individual Bns are not mentioned as is common to LC rolls. His service record would be good though.

Ian