Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

81st Brigade 1917 and 1918

Chunkeroo

Morning all

I am working out what my Grandfather was up to in Salonika during 1917 and 1918 in between his bouts of Malaria. He was with the 81st Bde MGC and although I have copies of the war diaries, I need to find out what the infantry battalions of the 81st Bde were up to so I can get a complete picture. The battalions in the 81st were:

1st Battalion, the Royal Scots

2nd Battalion, the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

1st Battalion, the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Has anyone got copies of these diaries or any extracts I could have. Particularly interested in the capture of Homondos in October 1917 and the capture of the Roche Noire Salient in September 1918.

Thanks a lot

Clare

The Royal Scots History has only six pages on Homondos and eight on Attack of 81st Brigade September 1918.

The History is in two books from Naval and Military Press.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Clare

Just to flag up that the capture of Homondos is one of the actions covered in my book: 'Under the Devil's Eye' which tells the story of the British Salonika Force. My account of this very interesting action includes a sketch map showing the routes taken by the 2nd Cameron Highlanders and 13th Black Watch, plus a company of 1st A&S Highlanders. Also quoted are extracts from an account by Lt (later Maj Gen) A L Collier who took part in the action with the Camerons.Have visited the site of this action on one of my many battlefield tours to the region and interestingly enough a set of drainage ditches along one side of the modern village appear to follow, more or less, the line of former entrenchments. Possibly next year I'd like to do a tour where my group would spend something like 3 days looking at actions in the Struma before moving on the Doiran.

ALAN

Hi Alan

I have your book! Just started reading it so I will skip to the section you have pointed out. Thanks for the heads up. I visited the PRO last week and photographed the whole diary for the 81st Bde MGC. Now I realise I should have also looked at the Infantry Battalions too but time was against me. Another trip is in order I think.

Many thanks

Clare

• 8 months later...
Guest Auraelium

Hi m8, I dont know if you have done so already but if you contact the MGC Database website and drop a mail to Graham Sacker he will send you details of 81st Bde's movements in Salonika along with their engagments and attachments during that time.My own granfather was with the 82nd MGC and fought along side your grandfather in most of those battles.

http://www.machine-g...database.co.uk/

Hi Alan I havent got your book yet but am planning to do so,I understand its out of print at the moment and the cheapest copy i can get at the moment is on Ebay for $150,Do you know if it will go for reprint soon or where i can get a cheaper copy? I am currently tracking 4 relatives across campaigns in WW1 and have spent $100's so far but i cannot afford to pay that much.

Just to confirm that Under the Devil's Eye was republished by Pen & Sword in hardback in 2010. So, everyone can buy a copy at a reasonable price now!

ALAN

I was given a copy for Christmas and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The balance of the high level with the personal accounts works very well as do the chapters on life behind the lines, the medical support and the air war.