Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Salient and the Somme

Ferguson73uk

I'm taking the family to visit the Ypres Salient and the Somme next week. I've booked two days of tours with guides and have read the Holts' guides to both battlefields, but can anyone suggest any bookshops, miltaria shops and places of that ilk not mentioned in the guide books? I'll be based near Frevent, and after my visit to the NA this week I hope to have some details on five family members who served in the area which should make it more personal.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan

Welcome to the Forum

THE place to visit is the bookshop at the Shell Hole in Ieper. I don't know if it is mentioned in the guide books though I assume it is.

Other Pals will tell you its full address.

As they say- Enjoy! ;)

Martin

There's also a new(ish) bookshop in Ieper near the Menin Gate called "The Grenadier" (or something like that). It seems to be just an outlet of the N&MP though.

Dave.

D'Hondststraat 54

(= one of the three streets on the southside of the Grote Markt (Market Square), the one in the middle, opposite the right hand side of the Cloth Hall, when facing it).

The Shell Hole is approx. 200 yards from the Grote Markt, on the first corner on the right.

Aurel

Thanks for the replies, lads! Aurel, I have seen the BBC programmes and would like to compliment you on the fascinating work you and your colleagues do. I shall certainly pay the places you mention a visit. What an excellent resource this messageboard is! As a recent PhD graduate in the field of the Anglo-Zulu War, I've been lost in the 19th century for six years and I'm only a newboy to WW1 but I'm delighted I discovered this site!

Regards,

Jonathan