Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drifter takes on light cruiser

IanA

Thanks Michael. I suspect this action may not be widely known - but then I'm not a navy buff.

I suspect this action may not be widely known

I suspect that your absolutely right Ian

but it sounds like a great story that should indeed be more widely known

Yes, Ian, great story. Here is the award of V.C to Skipper Watts ;

WATT Joseph 1206WSA Skipper RNR 80F006

H.M. Drifter Gowan Lea Vice Admiral Commanding Adriatic Sqdn 29.08.17 Gazetted

Otranto Straits Action Adriatic Drifters attack by Austrian Cruiser 15.05.17

VC & promoted to Chief Skipper 15.05.17

For greatest gallantry and example.

He replied to Austrian Cruisers demand to surrender by calling for three cheers from his crew, attacking the enemy, and subsequently saving his ship when all means of offence were destroyed by the enemy.

Sadsac

An action Admiral Cochrane would have been proud of! Thanks for the links, I had never come across this story.

A fascinating story! I wonder where his BWM and VM are?

All the best,

Gary

Captain Watt's VC group sold today for £170,000.

Thanks for further info Ian. Any idea who purchased the medal ?

WATT Joseph VC - WSA1206 Skipper RNR 80F002 H.M. Drifter Floand

Commodore Commanding British Adriatic Force N/E N/E

Promoted Chief Skipper 15.05.17

For meritorious service in the action in the Straits of Otranto on the 15th May, 1917.

Puzzling ?? Possibly subsequent / previous Recommendation ??

Note diferent boat - later command?

Sadsac

sadsac, I don't know if it's the vessel mentioned in the first link which the Gowan Lea went to its aid....

After the cruiser had passed on Skipper Watt took the “Gowan Lea” alongside the badly damaged freighter “Floandi” and assisted to remove the dead and wounded.

Similar, but are they the one and the same vessel?

According to p. 300 of vol. 3 of Naval Operations, the British official history, Floandi was a drifter which fired on the Austrian cruiser Novara. Skipper D. J. Nicholls and one of her enginemen were wounded, with the other engineman being killed.

Floandi is described as being a 'group leader' so perhaps Watts was transferred to her to replace the wounded Nicholls after his promotion to Chief Skipper?

Yes Martin, it seems most likely that Watt took over as Skipper in FLOANDI.

Must now have a peep to see of Nicholls received any award, which one would have thought he justly deserved.

Anyone have pics of the two Drifters ???

Sadsac

Thanks for that input Michael. Here are the awards to crew of FLOANDI for the action ;

NICHOLS Dennis J 834WSA Skipper RNR 80F006 H.M. Drifter Floandi

Vice Admiral Commanding Adriatic Sqdn 29.08.17 Gazetted

DSC & promoted Chief Skipper 15.05.17

Remained at his post in the wheel-house, steering his ship, and although wounded himself, assisted in removing the more severely wounded members of of his crew. Later he went in a small boat, plugging the holes in the ships sides, thereby enabling her to reach port.

BARLING George R Killed Lt. RNR 80F003 H.M. Drifter Floandi

Vice Admiral Commanding British Adriatic Sqdn 29.08.17 Gazetted

Otranto Straits Action Adriatic Drifters attack by Austrian Cruiser 15.05.17 M in D

As officer in charge of a group of Drifters, he did most excellent work directing the movement of his ships with great skill. When under fire, he encouraged his men and kept his heading for the enemy until he was killed.

NICHOLS Dennis J WSA834 Skipper RNR 80F002 H.M. Drifter Floandi

Promoted Chief Skipper 15.05.17

For meritorious service in the action in the Straits of Otranto on the 15th May, 1917.

Sadsac

Thanks for further info Ian. Any idea who purchased the medal ?

It went to 'a private bidder' in London. The price, including premium, was £204,000.

According to victoriacross.org.uk:

'In total one Victoria Cross; two Distinguished Service Orders; six Distinguished Service Crosses; five Conspicuous Gallantry Medals; eighteen Distinguished Service Medals; and 31 Mentioned-in-Despatches were awarded for the action.'

Watt's Wikipedia entry says that three members of his crew received the CGM or DSM.

Would a drifter Skipper have been senior enough to be awarded the DSO? Possibily this list includes awards made to the crews of the light cruisers HMS Dartmouth and HMS Bristol for the subsequent pursuit of the Austro-Hungarian cruisers by a force of British, French and Italian ships? Click here and here for more on the Battle of the Otranto Straits.

Thanks for the link to the London Gazette, Michael. I have taken the liberty of including it, with acknowledgement, in a comment on this stroy that I've written on my blog.

A second VC, awarded to Corporal Arthur Cross of the MGC, was sold at the same auction. It fetched £185,000 plus buyer's premium of £185,000. See

this thread.

Gibbo

That's very kind of you, but alas, undeserved

see the link in post #2 above

I got the LG ref from Steve (hmsk212)

I liked the blog

best regards

Michael

Could only seem to open the first page Michael.

Here are the Recommendations to ADMIRABLE / MORNING STAR / CORAL HAVEN as I have them.

COWE Robert 1774WSA Skipper RNR 80F005 H.M. Drifter Coral Haven

Vice Admiral Commanding Adriatic Sqdn 29.08.17 N/E

Otranto Straits Action Adriatic Drifters attack by Austrian Cruiser 15.05.17 DSC

Although under fire from a very superior force, he remained at his post, keeping his ship heading for the enemy and encouraging his crew to fight their small gun. Four rounds were fired, and he and his crew only escaped from their ship when she was on fire and in a sinking condition.

WATSON David WSA1760 Skipper RNR 80F002 H.M. Drifter Morning Star

Promoted Chief Skipper 15.05.17 For meritorious service in the action in the Straits of Otranto on the 15th May, 1917.The drifter Morning Star was one of the first attacked. She was engaged by a four funnelled Cruiser, who opened fire on her at 800 yards range. The crew went to action stations and engaged the enemy with their six pounder gun until the enemy withdrew. Several hits were made on the enemy.

FARQUHAR William 1310WSA Skipper RNR 80F005 H.M. Drifter Admirable

Vice Admiral Commanding Adriatic Sqdn 29.08.17 N/E

Otranto Straits Action Adriatic Drifters attack by Austrian Cruiser 15.05.17 DSC

Remained at his post with his crew although under heavy fire of a very superior force only leaving his ship as she was sinking.

Sadsac

I initially had problems getting to the later pages of the London Gazette. What you have to do is to click on the button marked 'Next' in the margin at the top, above the PDF file. You don't scroll down as you would with a multi-page PDF as each page is a separate PDF.

Ah - thanks for that instruction Gibbo. Now I can see from the Gazette posted by Michael that Watt received his recommendation because of his escape and fetched up in FLOANDI later. Escaped twice from the Austrians - that must have been worth a gong on its own.

STOUT FELLOW !! With chaps like him on our side, how could we lose ??

Sadsac