Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters War Diary 1914

peter4447

If anyone has a copy I would be very grateful for any details regarding the Battalion's actions on the 20th October 1914 - I am looking for details of a Private who was KIA on that day.

Very many thanks

Peter4447

Peter

I have this

His battalion landed at St. Nazaire, France on Thursday 10 September 1914 and on Friday 9 October 1914 entrained at St. Remy for St. Omer. They moved into billets at Arques and then moved into the Vieux Berquin area on Monday 12 October 1914.

The battalion then advanced until Sunday 18 October 1914 when they relieved the 2nd Battalion, Durham Light Infantry in positions at Ennetière. On the day of his death the Germans attacked the battalion who were ordered to fall back to the high ground at La Vallée. The retiring troops were surrounded during this procedure and forced to surrender. The survivors, 2 officers and 49 other ranks, held a ridge near the windmill at La Vallée and managed to fight off further German attacks at 7.30pm.

The War Diary notes,

20 October 1914 On night of 19th-20th A Company relieved D Company, C Company relieved B Company taking A Companys place in reserve. All night the companies were employed in improving their trenches and communications but the work was considerably interfered with by enemy fire.

At daybreak the enemy commenced a heavy shell fire on the village, the house occupied by Battalion HQ being destroyed.

At 7.10am it was reported that a considerable number of the enemy were massing round our right flank towards Escobecques. At 10am B Company was sent to reinforce the trenches on the right. At 11.30am 1 company of Durham Light Infantry arrived to reinforce the BM. About 1pm a vigorous attack was made on our front trenches, but it was driven off with considerable loss. About 3pm enemy commenced his advance against the right flank supported by artillery from north, east and south. All remaining reserves, 3 platoons of Durham Light Infantry and about 50 men were pushed to aid the 5 platoons who were holding that flank. The enemys advance was however very ?? and we were vastly outnumbered. The few remaining men were collected and fell back, some covered the retirement of a battery of our guns and others assisted to man handle the guns onto the road. For some time the remnants of the battalion held on to some high ground overlooking the sandpits west of Ennetteres, but at 7pm fell back to the road running through T of Fetus. Here we joined up with the Durham Light Infantry and West Yorkshire Regiments and remained in position until ordered to fall back to Bois Grenier.

Casualties 710 NCOs and men missing.

Very lucky if the WD mentions a ranker by name !! Who is it you are looking for ??

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

That is absolutely marvellous - thank you very much indeed.

The soldier in question was a Pte Francis Haywood., Aged 18.

Best regards

Peter

Graeme

The soldier in question was a Pte Francis Haywood., Aged 18.

Best regards

Peter

The Nottingham Evening Post dated the 5th February 1915 shows him as being reported missing under dates 6th to 10th December 1914. BRONNO.

Very many thanks Bronno. I have been working on the CWGC date of KIA which they have given as 20.10.14.

Is it possible that the entry of 5th Feb 15 could have been put in by his family seeking information or would it be from a list submitted perhaps by RHA Sherwood Foresters ?

Interestingly although the word 'clasp' is mentioned on his MIC there is no reference to him receiving a 1914 Star, other than the fact that it is also recorded on his MIC that his sister submitted a request for one which, I assume, would have been after his family received his Pair at the end of the war.

Peter

• 1 month later...

My grandfather was involved in the action 19th/20th October 1914, taken prisoner of war. Lost track of where he was taken by the Germans after the action. Any hints/clues please

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - only just seen this post - but we have been moving house!

One of my Buxton memorial lads was also killed with the 2nd Bn. on the 20th. He was:

:poppy: Pt. 8405 John William PINDER. He had enlisted on 11th Aug 1902 and served his 3 years active service in Hong Kong and the 'Straits Settlements'. Ironically, his 9 years A.R. would have ended on 10 Aug. 1914, but was recalled from the reserve.

Graham

post-37838-0-00497300-1340988885_thumb.j

• 6 years later...
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2012 at 9:30 PM, trooper159 said:

My grandfather was involved in the action 19th/20th October 1914, taken prisoner of war. Lost track of where he was taken by the Germans after the action. Any hints/clues please

My Grandad was also captured on 20th October, 1914.  He was in Soltau and Bohmte prisoner-of-war camps.  The Red Cross Prisoner of war site has a few details, that is where I found my Grandad's details.

• 1 year later...
On 17/04/2012 at 12:42, GraemeClarke said:

Peter

I have this

His battalion landed at St. Nazaire, France on Thursday 10 September 1914 and on Friday 9 October 1914 entrained at St. Remy for St. Omer. They moved into billets at Arques and then moved into the Vieux Berquin area on Monday 12 October 1914.

The battalion then advanced until Sunday 18 October 1914 when they relieved the 2nd Battalion, Durham Light Infantry in positions at Ennetière. On the day of his death the Germans attacked the battalion who were ordered to fall back to the high ground at La Vallée. The retiring troops were surrounded during this procedure and forced to surrender. The survivors, 2 officers and 49 other ranks, held a ridge near the windmill at La Vallée and managed to fight off further German attacks at 7.30pm.

The War Diary notes,

20 October 1914 On night of 19th-20th A Company relieved D Company, C Company relieved B Company taking A Companys place in reserve. All night the companies were employed in improving their trenches and communications but the work was considerably interfered with by enemy fire.

At daybreak the enemy commenced a heavy shell fire on the village, the house occupied by Battalion HQ being destroyed.

At 7.10am it was reported that a considerable number of the enemy were massing round our right flank towards Escobecques. At 10am B Company was sent to reinforce the trenches on the right. At 11.30am 1 company of Durham Light Infantry arrived to reinforce the BM. About 1pm a vigorous attack was made on our front trenches, but it was driven off with considerable loss. About 3pm enemy commenced his advance against the right flank supported by artillery from north, east and south. All remaining reserves, 3 platoons of Durham Light Infantry and about 50 men were pushed to aid the 5 platoons who were holding that flank. The enemys advance was however very ?? and we were vastly outnumbered. The few remaining men were collected and fell back, some covered the retirement of a battery of our guns and others assisted to man handle the guns onto the road. For some time the remnants of the battalion held on to some high ground overlooking the sandpits west of Ennetteres, but at 7pm fell back to the road running through T of Fetus. Here we joined up with the Durham Light Infantry and West Yorkshire Regiments and remained in position until ordered to fall back to Bois Grenier.

Casualties 710 NCOs and men missing.

Very lucky if the WD mentions a ranker by name !! Who is it you are looking for ??

Regards,

Graeme

Dear Graeme,

A brother of my grandfather, Charles Chapman, served in 2nd Sherwood Foresters in 1914 and was captured by the Germans on 20 October 1914.  He survived the war as he shows up in his home town (Belgrave, Leics) after the war.  He was 35 years of age in 1914, so he must have joined the regular army sometime before the war.  Unfortunately, his military records cannot be found, likely destroyed by fire and or water during the Blitz.  Was there any mention of men taken prisoner on 20 October?  Any information would be much appreciated.

Earl Chapman

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Morning Earl

here are his PoW papers

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3228700/3/2/

Put the PA numbers (4 in total) into the box on the right, change P to PA and there are his other documents, these give date and place of birth,

place and date of capture, relatives etc.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Morning Graeme,

Many thanks for the link.  Finally, after many years, I now know something of his captivity.  Is there any way to determine when he was released and sent back home to Britain?

Interesting that he was 35 years old, married with six children, yet he was on the firing line in 1914.  This suggests to me that he had joined the regular army, served his time "with the Colours" and had been placed on the reserve.  When war broke out, he was ordered to active duty.  Is this a reasonable thought process?

Thanks again,

Earl