Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll

Mark Hone

For the first time in ages I'm trying to research someone who survived the war rather than someone who was killed. Despite the PRO making the 'burned records' available are the medal rolls still the easiest way to find out the bare bones of a service record? Unfortunately getting to Kew is not really an option for me. What is the easiest access to the medal rolls in this era of new technology?

Mark

There is no short cut for service records I'm afraid

The Medal Rolls have to be inspected at the PRO. The reference numbers for the rolls can be found on the the medal index cards. They will not lead you to any information about the specific details of his WW1 service however. Occasionally you will get a snippet of information such as "forfeited", an indication of some wrong doing or sometimes an indication when a man has been reduced in rank. Issue dates are also sometimes shown.

As you will know, the medals awarded will only give you a basic idea about when a man or woman served overseas.

Terry Reeves

Mark,

The medal rolls can be especially helpful when a man changed battalion. The rolls record all changes from one battalion to another, and from one regiment to another. I use the word 'all' advisedly.

Rob

For the London Regiment and some Royal Fusilier battalions the BWM/Vic medal rolls also gives dates of overseas service, which can prove useful.