Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

102nd Grenadiers and 95th Russell's Infantry

Lachlan

Dear All

Could anyone please give me an idea of what service uniforms were worn by the 102nd King Edward's Grenadiers and 95th Russell's Infantry at the start of 1915 ? I'm particularly interested in their appearance during the Battle of Muscat (Bait Al Falaj) on 10/11th January 1915.

Also, were the 2 regiments both of mixed castes / types etc ?

Thanks in advance !

On the question of caste/race composition, I don't know, but Russell's were part of the old Hyderabad Contingent, which, by the outbreak of war, was recruiting Sikhs, Jats and Deccani Muslims (amongst others) into its cavalry regiments, so I see no reason why the infantry would be hugely different.

As the Indian Army had gone wholeheartedly over to recruiting from the north, I would suspect that the 102nd would be little different, too, to be honest.

As for unifroms, my suspicion would be the lightweight drill uniforms as seen on the Frontier: the campaign was entirely an "Indian" affair, so supplies and stocks of uniforms would have been supplied from India, so little chance of any British-style uniforms so early in the war.

That is all guseework and supposition, though, so don't quote me.

95th Russell's Infantry. ( shown on left )

This Hindustani Musalman has the Hyderabad green turban with a gold kullah. The long skirted scarlet kurta is piped green round the collar, down the front and along the edge of the pointed cuff. There are crossed flags and a crown over his stripes to denote his rank. The waist sash is green with gold stripes. Trousers are dark blue with red piping.

102nd Grenadiers. ( shown on right )

Sepoy in red kurta showing white shoulder straps with brass titles. A brown leather belt goes over a white kummerbund. The turban is khaki with red fringe. Brown boots are worn in the 102nd and black in the 101st.

post-63666-0-28922700-1334414195.jpg

post-63666-0-29108600-1334414306.jpg

On active service in the GW, I suspect they would have been unlikely to wear scarlet.

On active service in the GW, I suspect they would have been unlikely to wear scarlet.

Steven,

You are absolutely correct, I just wanted to provide images of their traditional ethnic uniforms.

I do have some not too clear black and white photographs, and in those, they appear to be wearing a version of standard British tropical khaki, along with their traditional tunic/smocks and turbans.

Regards,

LF

As Steven pointed out, this is more what is required, both the photographs show a British Camp in Muscat, 1914, and although not too clear, you can see troops wearing tropical khaki traditional overshirts/smocks and turbans.

LF

post-63666-0-00899000-1334428882.jpg

post-63666-0-94113900-1334428895.jpg

I'm particularly interested in their appearance during the Battle of Muscat (Bait Al Falaj) on 10/11th January 1915.

Lachlan,

I posted earlier the traditional uniforms of both the 102nd King Edward's Grenadiers and 95th Russell's, which as was correctly pointed out, would not have been worn in action.

Both from the two black and white photographs I posted, and the attached drawings depicting the actions at Bait Al Falaj, you will note that the uniforms worn in WW1 action, whilst they were not the traditional coloured uniforms, they do closely resemble each other with the traditional tunic/smock and turbans.

I hope you also find the accounts of the actions interesting to your project.

Regards,

LF

" In October 1914 a small detachment of the 102nd King Edward’s Own Grenadiers, Indian Army, was garrisoning Muscat when two unsuccessful attacks were mounted on the picquet line located on the ridge west of Bait Al Falaj. The Grenadiers were commanded by Lieutenant Colonel S.M. Edwardes DSO. As information had been received that the Imam and many local tribal leaders intended to attack Muscat, Colonel Edwardes requested reinforcements from India in October, to prevent the small Sultan’s army and the British garrison from being overwhelmed. The reinforcements arrived in the form of six companies of the 95th Russell’s Infantry, Indian Army, with two machine guns, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel F.F. Major; this brought the Muscat British garrison strength up to 1,000 men.

In early January 1915 news arrived that the Imam’s army was forming up, and mounted riders could be observed on the plain west of the picquet line. Some men carried modern rifles but others carried swords and protected themselves with breastplates and small but thick shields made from rhinoceros or hippopotamus leather; the material for these shields had been obtained due to Oman’s strong historical links with East Africa. The warriors were incited by religious fervour.

During the 10th of January large groups of armed Omanis advanced to within two kilometres of the picquets which were each defended by about 20 men, some being the Sultan’s soldiers and the remainder being Indian Army sepoys. All the picquets received extra stocks of water and ammunition. During the early hours of darkness the defenders heard below them the movement of large numbers of men. At 0200 hours the moon rose followed by a heavy fusillade of enemy rifle fire; No. 1 Picquet located north-west of the fort received the heaviest enemy attention.

Havildar Gangaran Singh commanded No. 1 picquet and when his ammunition stocks were expended, and three of his men had been killed and two others wounded, he decided to withdraw; Colonel Edwardes supported this action. Because of the steep hillside down which the withdrawal was being fought the mortally wounded Private Bala Ram had to be left behind. But Private Nand Ram, who had already killed several attackers with his rifle and bayonet, refused to leave his dying comrade and so he stood and fought alone over Bala Ram’s body until the Imam’s men cut him down with their swords. For this act of gallantry 2813 Private Nand Ram (Right), 102nd Grenadiers, was posthumously awarded an Indian Order of Merit (Second Class) with the citation: For conspicuous courage during the operations in the vicinity of Muscat on the 11th January 1915, in staying behind alone at a picquet post in order to protect a comrade who was badly wounded. During this plucky act, Sepoy Nand Ram was himself overpowered and killed by the enemy.

The British counter attack

The Imam’s men jubilantly occupied No. 1 Picquet and closely invested the other picquets along the ridge to the south, but did not capture them. At dawn Colonel Edwardes decided to seize the initiative and he ordered a general advance to clear the hills of the enemy. Concurrently a vigorous counter attack from Bait Al Falaj was launched against the enemy surrounding No. 2 Picquet. These actions were supported by fire from the two machine guns commanded by Captain Oliver. The frontal attack was led by Captain S.B. Coates who took a wound in the thigh but still pressed on.

Major A.C. Edwardes led the successful attack to relieve No. 2 Picquet, and then fought stiff actions whilst advancing northwards along the ridge line towards No. 1 Picquet. On this terrain natural cover from view was negligible and Edwardes’ men were constantly exposed to fire as they moved.

During this advance Subadar Jafar Ali, 102nd Grenadiers, displayed bravery that led to the award of an Indian Order of Merit (2nd Class) with the citation: For conspicuous gallantry during the operations at Muscat on 11th January 1915, in conducting and leading a small party of men under very heavy fire along a very difficult path on a precipitous hillside to dislodge a party of the enemy who were impeding the advance, during which for a short time, he with Sepoys 2936 Sultan Ahmed and 3129 Karamdad Khan, was isolated with the enemy immediately above him. By his exceptional skill in handling his men, his personal courage and absolute disregard of his life, this Indian officer set an example of the highest soldierly quality. Sepoys 2936 Sultan Ahmed and 3129 Karamdad Khan each received an Indian Distinguished Service Medal.

By noon the tenacity of the sepoys and Sultan’s soldiers, supported by well-targeted machine gun fire, had won the battle. The Imam’s tribesmen withdrew having lost an estimated 300 or more warriors killed or wounded. The Indian sepoys and the Sultan’s soldiers had triumphed over a tough, aggressive enemy whilst operating over very steep and difficult ground, and Muscat was saved for Sultan Taimur. "

Top drawing depicts 2813 Private Nand Ram.

Bottom drawing depicts Subardar Jafar Ali and his team at Muscat.

Attached image(s)

post-63666-0-32875100-1334430538.jpg

post-63666-0-79947700-1334430567.jpg

Cheers for that !

I have just bought an up to date city map of Muscat (which has terrain shown on it) and will be marking on it the positions of allied and enemy positions and movements (taken from the 1915 map of the battle). Using that, in the next week or two (depedning how hot it is) I I intend to bring my camera and photo some of the terrain and locations involved. When I get it done, I'll post the photos. Mind you, I'm too lazy to actually climb the hills ! So I'll do it from the road and hopefully a vantage point or two !

Funny enough, this very evening and (every Sunday evening) I will be driving right through the old forgotten battlefield on my way to take my wife to church. The Qurum Heights motorway goes right through the gap where part of the attack happened (according to the map).

Were they the 102nd Prince of Wales' Grenadiers or 102nd King Edward's Own Grenadiers ? The online battle account has them as K.E.O. whereas Wikipedia mentions P.O.W.