Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war memorials

tony paley

My parents were Irish. grandfather and father were both regular soldiers. grandad served from 1894 until pension in 1920, a year before my father enlisted. No doubt my grandfather returned to Dublin in rather 'troublesome' times. I am a frequent visitor to Ireland and whenever possible pay my respects to those war memorials that I have come accross. In fact my Great Uncle is commemorated on 'Fusilier ' Arch in stephens Green, Dublin. My query is, to what extent were the WW1 memorials located in the post war period. Although out of period, but of general interest I have noticed some WW2 names included on some I have visited. I must confess not a surprise to me.

Tony P

My parents were Irish. grandfather and father were both regular soldiers. grandad served from 1894 until pension in 1920, a year before my father enlisted. No doubt my grandfather returned to Dublin in rather 'troublesome' times. I am a frequent visitor to Ireland and whenever possible pay my respects to those war memorials that I have come accross. In fact my Great Uncle is commemorated on 'Fusilier ' Arch in stephens Green, Dublin. My query is, to what extent were the WW1 memorials located in the post war period. Although out of period, but of general interest I have noticed some WW2 names included on some I have visited. I must confess not a surprise to me.

Tony P

Saint Patrick's Cathedral is a good indoor place if the weather is not good, contains a good range of memorials, flags ect to Irish Regiments.

http://www.stpatrick...l.ie/index.aspx

Michael Pegum, a contributor to this forum, has posted extensively his photographs of Irish war memorials to the following website:

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/

They've reached 761 memorials, and over 20,000 names. Be prepared to find plenty of duplications in terms of people commemorated.

eg Frederick Ewen Falkiner of 57th Squadron, commemorated at Tyne Cot is also recorded on the following Irish memorials:

1914-1918 Memorial Plaque, St Columba's College,Dublin, Ireland;

Solicitors' Memorial, Four Courts, Dublin, Ireland;

Great War Memorial,Unitarian Church, St Stephen's Green, Dublin, Ireland;

Falkiner Memorial,Unitarian Church, St Stephen's Green, Dublin, Ireland;

1937 Reading Room,Trinity College Dublin, Ireland;

Rathfarnham Great War Memorial, RathfarnhamWar Memorial Hall, Dublin, Ireland;

Great War Memorial, Rathfarnham Church,Dublin, Ireland;

1914-1918 Roll of Honour, Rathfarnham Church, Dublin, Ireland.

There's quite a variation in the level of care and attention that many memorials receive across the island of Ireland. Even the example of Fusilier's Arch in Dublin is an interesting one: even at the time of its commission there were those who had supported the Boers, from McBride's Irish Brigade etc through to the Irish-Australian MP for Clare, a chap by the name of Lynch, who had gone on to form a separate Irish unit. On the other hand, you can see developments like the Mayo Peace Park, which is quite inclusive and tries to accommodate the diversity of allegiances and identities.

Thanks for the replies. A very interesting link too. I did mention my maternal side in my post. Although I had some photographs and first hand accounts I have had great difficulty with my Mother's side. Suffice to say events in 1916 and the civil war featured, and a lad from leafy Surrey who is ex service and civil police had great difficulty asking question in co.Wexford, even if they were my cousins. Always treated with some wry humour though.

tony P

• 2 weeks later...

My query is, to what extent were the WW1 memorials located in the post war period.

Tony P

There are some memorials in the open in the Republic (e.g. Cahir); Kilgobbin) but they are not nearly so frequent as north of the Border. Most of them are in Church of Ireland churches, but I have found them in Presbyterian churches, too (Dun Laoghaire), in Quaker and Unitarian churches and a synagogue (Terenure). There are a few in Catholic churches, as well, e.g. (Haddington Road).

Some of the names on a memorial in a church may not have belonged to that denomination, though. Some memorials were to the men of the district in general.

Michael

• 1 month later...

The irishwarmemorials site is well worth a visit I have visited it many times .

Sadly as touched on above there are not near as mant memorials in Ireland as there could or should be , but thankfully that is starting to change.

I think the WW1 WW2 memorial in Glasnevin has been moved nearer to the main entrance , but if i have my wires cross it is close to the old entrance.