Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Mystery of HMS Melampus and UC 16 October 1917

seaforth78

This ship certainly had an interesting life as a sinker of submarines; on both sides! I had just acquired the sword of Lt. Commander CEH White DSO (later DSC for Second War Armed Trawler service) CO of the HMS Melampus and there seems to be controversy whether his ship actually sank the UC 16 on 22nd October 1917 (I have the newspaper clipping but could not upload it) or like according to the artcle there is no clear proof he sank her, but was given a claim for it by a prize court in 1919. His DSO was given for his anti-submarine work and later, came out of retirement in 1939 and was given a armed merchat vessel of which he was given the DSC for his services.

As as aside, but by total coincidence, the same ship sank by accident in April of that same year the C 16. Here is the entry from Wikipedia:

C16 was again sunk after being rammed at periscope depth by destroyer Melampus off Harwich on 16 April 1917. The boat bottomed out at 60 ft (18 m). The First LieutenantLieutenant S. Anderson — was fired through a torpedo tube to try to escape, but unfortunately drowned. The captain — Lt. H. Boase — tried to flood the boat in an effort to escape through the fore hatch, but the fender jammed the hatch, so the crew was trapped. The escape attempts were recorded by the commanding officer, and were found corked in a bottle found lying near him when the hull was salvaged. All the crew of C16 died.

I wonder if the wreck of the UC 16 was found and investigated?

Have all of her logs, just says at 2.00, (1400 hrs), attacked and probabily sank Large enemy Submarine. Probabily????, not sure?????? Was UC- Class U-Boats considered Large?

The Melampus sinking claim is no longer considered workable. As Spindler's German official history notes, the body of one of UC 16's officers, Lt. z. S. Rolf von Becswarzowsky, washed up on the Dutch coast on October 26, 1917. From this, Spindler concluded that UC 16 was mined off the coast of Flanders.

My Belgian diving contacts have in fact dived the wreck of a UCII off Zeebrugge that is likely to be UC 16, that as the propellers are buried in the sand, this has not been confirmed to date.

Best wishes,

Michael

Re the wreck 'if found and investigated' - according to your own last sentance "the hull was salvaged"......

Hi,

I was speaking of UC 16, not C16. Please note my last sentence.

Many thanks

Have all of her logs, just says at 2.00, (1400 hrs), attacked and probabily sank Large enemy Submarine. Probabily????, not sure?????? Was UC- Class U-Boats considered Large?

I would most interested in seeing her logs; where can get these please?

Regards

The Melampus sinking claim is no longer considered workable. As Spindler's German official history notes, the body of one of UC 16's officers, Lt. z. S. Rolf von Becswarzowsky, washed up on the Dutch coast on October 26, 1917. From this, Spindler concluded that UC 16 was mined off the coast of Flanders.

My Belgian diving contacts have in fact dived the wreck of a UCII off Zeebrugge that is likely to be UC 16, that as the propellers are buried in the sand, this has not been confirmed to date.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thank you very much Michael.

• 1 year later...

A John Brooks the engine room fitter was killed when the C16 was struck and sunk - he's buried in Derby. As a researcher of the Brooks family in this area I suspect he is related but their are quite a few J Brooks of this age - does anyone have any info on him? e.g. enlistment details or next of kin in particular?

BROOKS, J Rank: Engine Room Artificer 1st Class Service No: DEV269639 Date of Death: 16/04/1917 Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M. Submarine C.16. Grave Reference 53513 (C.). Cemetery DERBY (NOTTINGHAM ROAD) CEMETERY Additional Information:

regards

SaxonX

PS _ Just found this:

1911 England Census about John Brooks
Name: John Brooks Age in 1911: 34 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877 Gender: Male Birth Place: St Peters, Derbyshire Civil Parish: Devonport County/Island: Devon Country: England Street Address: H M S Bristol, Devonport (Keyham, North Yard) Marital Status: Single Occupation: Enginee Room Artificer Registration District: Devonport Registration District Number: 278 Sub-registration District: Tamar ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Household Schedule Number: 13 Piece: 13062

But more wanted if possible?

Edited by SaxonX

CForth, cannot find any award of DSO to White (but I am no expert), but find here award of `Mention' for the sinking of UC16 ;

WHITE Charles E. H N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 83P362 Melampus

Captain (S) Harwich 29.11.18 N/E

Action with enemy submarine 23.10.17 Mentioned in Despatches

Their Lordships' appreciation expressed for his prompt and energetic action on the occasion of an attack on an enemy submarine on the 23rd October, 1917.On the above occasion, did, by his prompt and efficient work, get out the Paravanes enabling "Melampus" , "to catch and destroy the enemy submarine UC.16."

Subsequent evidence has established the destruction of the enemy submarine "UC 16".

Sadsac

• 6 years later...

The C16 was salvaged by the crew (salvage riggers) of RFA Racer working for the Royal Navy Salvage Section.

One of the recommendations from the report was that all future submarines should have external connections to supply air etc.

This was implemented.

One of the salvage riggers was a family member, hence the interest.

Termote states that UC-16 is likely to be one of three UC II class wrecks on the West end of the Fairy Bank. This is consistent with the location area of the IWO's body.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

9 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

C16 raised_.jpg

That is a wonderful picture of C16 taken with one of the lifting camels, the photograph was probably taken from the other camel.

The camels were only used from 5th May until the 9th May 1917.

If anyone is interested I am happy to post the entire salvage report.

This tragic incident was important because the salvage crew salvaged UC-44 later in the year off Dunmore East which yielded significant intelligence.

Tony