Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals for Eric Flint

adeold

Hi

I am trying to track down ww1 medals/Death Plaque for Eric Flint (London 3/2808) He was an Able Seamen in the Royal Naval Volunteer reserves, Anson battalion. He Was Killed on the 13th of November 1916 in France and is buried at Ancre British Cemetery in Beaumont-Hamel. He was entitled to the 1914 star. He fought at Gallipoli and bumped into his brother Douglas on the beaches. Douglas was in the NZEF. Any help or ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers Adrian

Hello Adrian,

Have you seen this information?

Name:Eric Flint

Service Branch:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit:Anson Bn.

Death Date:13 Nov 1916

Cause of Death:Killed in action

Burial:Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel (FR 339)

Service History:Enlisted 7/11/1912 ; Hawke Bn. B/370 22/8/14-2/11/14 ; Anson Bn. C/242 16/11/14-1/6/15 Impetigo, rejoined Anson Bn. (temporarily attached Howe Bn.) 23/8/15, rejoined Anson Bn. 10/9/15-13/11/16 DD.

Service Number:London 3/2808

Notes:CWGC Headstone reads "LZ/2308" ; Promoted Petty Officer for Company Pay Duties 18/2/15-17/2/16, promoted Chief Petty Officer (vice Chief Petty Officer J.L. Smith wounded) 18/2/16-1/7/16, reverts to Petty Officer on ceasing to perform duty as Company Quartermaster Sergeant 2/7/16, reduced to AB for inefficiency 19/9/16 ; A Clerk ; b.11/7/1894 ;

Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, Charles, 269 Brownhill Rd. (later: 28 Bargery Rd.), Catford, London SE6. ; 1914 Star returned to Mint 1934, V.B. issued to Father

(This man has a photo & entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of honour which talks of his service with the Anson Bn. at Gallipoli & in France but does not mention his service with the Hawke Bn. at Antwerp in 1914).

I think you have an almost impossible task to track down his medals and plaque. You stand a much better chance if they are still with the family (I'm assuming you are not related to him). You could start with his father's home address and try to trace existing family members from there. You might want to consider a local newspaper. Ours has a 'family interest' page, your query wouldn't be very unusual there. You will also have to consider that they were lost, stolen or sold a long time ago. A lot could have happened to them over the last 96 years but I hope you're lucky.

Sandie

* I've found his entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour but no photo.

Hello Adrian,

Have you seen this information?

Name:Eric Flint

Service Branch:Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit:Anson Bn.

Death Date:13 Nov 1916

Cause of Death:Killed in action

Burial:Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel (FR 339)

Service History:Enlisted 7/11/1912 ; Hawke Bn. B/370 22/8/14-2/11/14 ; Anson Bn. C/242 16/11/14-1/6/15 Impetigo, rejoined Anson Bn. (temporarily attached Howe Bn.) 23/8/15, rejoined Anson Bn. 10/9/15-13/11/16 DD.

Service Number:London 3/2808

Notes:CWGC Headstone reads "LZ/2308" ; Promoted Petty Officer for Company Pay Duties 18/2/15-17/2/16, promoted Chief Petty Officer (vice Chief Petty Officer J.L. Smith wounded) 18/2/16-1/7/16, reverts to Petty Officer on ceasing to perform duty as Company Quartermaster Sergeant 2/7/16, reduced to AB for inefficiency 19/9/16 ; A Clerk ; b.11/7/1894 ;

Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, Charles, 269 Brownhill Rd. (later: 28 Bargery Rd.), Catford, London SE6. ; 1914 Star returned to Mint 1934, V.B. issued to Father

(This man has a photo & entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of honour which talks of his service with the Anson Bn. at Gallipoli & in France but does not mention his service with the Hawke Bn. at Antwerp in 1914).

I think you have an almost impossible task to track down his medals and plaque. You stand a much better chance if they are still with the family (I'm assuming you are not related to him). You could start with his father's home address and try to trace existing family members from there. You might want to consider a local newspaper. Ours has a 'family interest' page, your query wouldn't be very unusual there. You will also have to consider that they were lost, stolen or sold a long time ago. A lot could have happened to them over the last 96 years but I hope you're lucky.

Sandie

* I've found his entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour but no photo.

Hi Sandie

Yes I had seen this. I am Eric's first Cousin twice removed. He had 2 Brothers Cecil and Douglas (NZEF) and a sister Dorothy. Douglas had no children of his own. I am still trying to find out about Cecil and Dorothy but haven't found any children yet. Never say Die, I found Douglas Flint's WW1 medals by complete fluke on the internet.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi

I see that his 1914 Star was returned to mint in 1934, does that mean that it would have been melted down or is it kept until someone else claims it?

Cheers

Adrian

Usually means melted down I'm afraid Adrian.

Rgds

Tim D

• 1 month later...

Hi

I think that Eric Flints Great war and Victory Medals were never issued? Where can I find out? If it is the case, then is it possible to apply for them? I believe that the death plaque would have been issued automatically. I think this to be the case because I can't imagine the family sending back just his 1914 star and not the other medals in 1934 (When his father died) Lastly what does "V.B. issued to father" mean. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Adrian

It would appear from the ADM/171 Medal Roll entry that Eric's "V.B." (British War & Victory Medals) were issued to his father, but his 1914 Star was not. This is not terribly uncommon, there are a few examples of this occurrance in the Medal Rolls. The significance of the De Rugveny's Roll entry is that it shows the family/writer were unaware of his 1914 service at Antwerp & perhaps therefore did not question the lack of a Star issue. His plaque is an auto issue as you presume, so a pair & plaque is out there somewhere. The V.B. issue appears to have been during the normal period 1922-26. Most 1914 Stars were issued some years before the V.B., so it is actually far more common to see the V.B. "not issued/claimed". Naval Medal Office failed to link the V.B. to the 1914 Star when the claim was received from his father it seems. The 1914 Star Roll image shows feint written trace that his star went to "A.G.14" in 1919 (Admiralty Branch dealing with medals), where it presumably lanquished until March 1934 when the destruction of the remaining 400-odd RND unissued 1914 Stars was authorised. Good luck to you finding them.

• 8 months later...

Hi Adrian

I have linked your Eric Flint to a memorial in my village church in Sherfield English, Hampshire, England. It took some doing because I couldn't find a connection to the Catford or Lewisham area or anything that connected him to Hampshire, but it turned out that his mother's brother was rector of the church when he was killed in 1916. The memorial is carved into the top of a pew that was made for Rev. William Turner Long (elder brother of Louisa Mary Long) and remains in the church to this day. Unfortunately the date of death is slightly out (5th November 1916 instead of 13th November 1916) but it is definitely this Eric Flint. I'd love to send you photos of the pew if you would be interested, and I'd dearly like to know the story about him bumping into his brother on the beaches!