Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record Query for possible non-comm

Stephen Nulty

Looking though the service records of one of "my" Prescot men who I consider to be a non-comm, I have found that the records contain Army Form W 5080, asking for nest of kin, etc. in order that his Medallion and Plaque are correctly dispatched.

He died in August 1920, after discharge, of Valvular Heart Disease. The W5080 is dated 9th September 1921.

Is the presence of this W5080 amongst his records sufficient proof that he died as a result of his service? As we know, the form was used specifically for the memorial scroll and plaque, so the Army Records Office, in issunign it, are saying that the has died as a result of his service....aren't they?

We would still want to know his cause of death from the DC.

Check the plaque form as the same paperwork was often used to record the dispatch of medals. The word 'plaque' can sometimes be found faintly crossed out and the word 'medals' written above.

Thanks, Terry, that's a good point. There has been a crossing out, but I'm not sure of the word which has been pencilled in.

I have the DC, stating the cause of death "Valvular Heart Disease 12 months".

post-1356-0-08762600-1334216655.png

post-1356-0-99345000-1334216663.jpg

I have spent some time following the writing with my curser and I'm going to suggest that it's something like Bri+vm (i.e. the two medals) scribbled by a clerk who had written this a huge number of times already....

So the query is whether his cause of death was related to service. Is there any mention of VDH in his papers? When was he discharged? Was it within the twelve months?

It reads "BW + VM"

"BW & VM" - Obvious, really, isn't it? :-)

His papers make no mention of VDH, apart from a note from his father which states that his son died of VDH "as a result of war service".

Discharged to Class Z on 16/01/1920, died on 03/08/1920. A few of his papers are Min of Pensions requests for docs, suggesting a pensions claim was in progress, and this is also mentioned by his father, but nothing firm, I'm afraid. As I said in the OP, I was hoping that the W5080 might add some weight to the claim.