Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Action at Bois Grenier and Pietre 1915

Laurent

Robin, I'm also grateful for the expertise provided by WSL and Kevin but not surprised having seen them in action before; I also appreciate you asking the question. I have an interest in three men killed in this small area which was supposed to be quiet enough to be called the Nursery sector; this has really helped my understanding. The excellent greatwar360.com site has a drone shot of the whole area and this is a photo looking up the lane towards Bridoux post (I think) as it is today. Bois Grenier and the 2/10th Liverpool Scottish cairn is behind me and I'm standing roughly where the cinder track meets the lane on the sketch map. The photo was taken in April and the ditch by the side of the road shows the level of the water table which necessitated that both sides build breastworks rather than trenches. Hope this is of interest (provided I've pointed the camera in the right direction for a change....).

Pete.

IMG_2156.JPG.f01ecfc5cb7932b8d1ee204452c0e2e7.JPG

On 24/07/2020 at 16:21, MAW said:

From which RFA unit were the 'six 18-pdr guns dug into the front line for direct fire support' as mentioned in Post #2 (History of the 8th Division)?

I know the 105th Brigade RFA was attached to the 8th Division and that the guns were positioned in an area around Chapelle Armentieres, but I do not know how the guns were deployed.

Mark

Mark

In the past I have looked for information on this action as well.

If you have access to Ancestry the 25th Infantry Brigade HQ War Diary may answer your question (code 1725/1-6 covering September 1915 to May 1916). Unfortunately the digitiser has done their usual bang up job and it is all out of order. However I have a note that info on the 25th September action was around page 390. I seem to remember there was a great deal of info on the planning of the action and a great deal on the artillery's role so I am sure the details you are looking for will be in there. There is a lot of it though otherwise I would research further myself.