Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Ferguson73uk

Medal Roll Query

Ferguson73uk

My grandfather died long before I was born but I do have his medals. I was pleased to be able to download his medal card from the NA today but I'd like a bit of help in interpreting it. His 'Qualifying Date' is 2.9.15. Is this the date of his arrival in France? Also what do 'Roll - RFA/2A13' and 'Page - 2700' mean on the top right hand side? Also there is a note stating 'Rev. O.R. 5-12-18' What does this mean? And my final query is; as this card exists does it mean that his Service Papers have survived the Blitz?(If not, is there any other way of finding out where in France he served?) (I'm taking the family to visit the Somme and Ypres Salient next week.)

Thanks in advance!!!

Jonathan

Chris_Baker

Hello Jonathan, welcome to the forum

The existence of the medal card has no implication for the existence of the service records, unfortunately. Virtually all MICs can be found; only some 30% of service records.

Qualifying date means date of disembarkation in a theatre of war.

The roll and page refer to the entry in the original medal roll(s). The index card is only a summary of information held on the roll. The roll often has additional information. For an infantryman, this usually includes the vital information of the battalion, which the MIC rarely mentions. The medal rolls are all held and can be viewed at the National Archives in Kew. It is an essential next step for you.

Have a read of the Grandads War section on the Long, Long Trail for more info (there's a link top left of this page, below the forum logo)

Ferguson73uk

Thanks, Chris! I shall arange a visit to Kew asap.

Jonathan

steve fuller

Hi Jonathon

Welcome to the forum.

If you cant get to kew, hire a researcher. personally I used Chris Baker (funnily enough!) but I believe there a several just on forum?

Good luck too!

Steve