Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camel Corps

stevenbecker

I am writing the history of the Imperial Camel Corps and would like some help of the 2nd Battle of Gaza.

This battle on the 19th April 1917 involing the Camel Corps Brigade and the attacks on the Tank Redoubt by that Brigade and the 163rd Brigade.

In particular the actions involving the 1/5th Norfolk (TF) Bn and the 1/8th Hampshire Bn.

I have most accounts of the Anzac Camel Bn but short on the British side.

Does anyone have the War Diaries, After action reports or any info on these units at that battle?

S.B

Steve,

I am interested in the Norfolks at Gaza II. I have not been to the PRO and have found little on line that would help you. I do have Wavell, A.P. (1928). The Palestine Campaigns. Constable & Co., London. There is an O.B. for Gaza II, a description of the topography, a small map and a 7 page description of events. Wavell says:

"On the right of the 54th Division some of the 161st Brigade and the Camel Brigade, led by a tank, reached the work afterwards known as Tank Redoubt, and held it for a while against heavy odds, and still, further to the right the Camel Brigade penetrated to Kh. Sihan."

The battalions you mention are from the 163rd Brigade, 54th Division. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Essex formed the 161st Brigade. If it really is the 163rd Brigade you are interested in, I have a letter home from a Pte in the 1/4th Norfolks with a short, poignant comment on Gaza II and some photos of uniformed members of the 1/4th including a senior NCO who was MIA 19th April.

The Jerusalm Post (15 June, 2000) ran an article headlined "Gas in Gaza" that may be of interest.

Regards,

Rob Carman.

Thanks rob,

Yes you are right it was the 163rd Brigade I am after.

The Camel Brigade attacked with the 1st Anzac Camel Bn with the 1/5th Norfolks at Tank redoubt while the 3rd Anzac Bn attacked the Kh Sihan redoubts.

I have the full records of the Anzac Bn's but short on info on the British side.

I did count up the soldiers Killed to show the the 1/5 Norfolk lost Five officers and 199 men KIA and 1 oficer and 17 DOW. While the 1/8 Hamp lost Seven Officers and 177 men with 11 men DOW and 1 officer DOW as a POW.

That is as much as I have becauses a number of coments in the Anzac records of the Norfolk and Hamp Bn's during the battle.

Can you confirm if the 1/8th Hamp was in reserve or in suport of the 1/5th Norfolk Bn during the battle and how did it end up in the fighting in the redoudt?

Also do you know the number of prisoners taken from both Bn's?

There were 22 Australian Camel soldiers captured when a British officer (Lt W Strachan-Roberts) surrendered them. Do you known anything about him or Lt Blofeld who died as a prisoner?

Thanks again for any insight.

S.B

P.s

Would you like any info I have on the Camel Corps part of this battle?

Steve & Rob,

A couple of books which may be of help to you and worth looking out for:

R.M.P. Preston "The Desert Mounted Corps. An Account of the Cavalry Operations in Palestine and Syria, 1917-1918" published in Boston & New York 1921

E. Blackwell & E.C. Axe "Romford to Beirut via France, Egypt and Jericho" published in London 1926

Lt. Col Preston took part in the capture of Beersheva. Blackwell and Axe were NCOs serving with an artillery battery of the 54th Div

Caveat: I can't vouch for these books myself but they are referred to in "The Changing Land Between the Jordan and the Sea" - see Chris' book review section.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Steve

It appears that the email address used for you via this forum is incorrect as I have two tries to send you info on Norfolks - both have been returned as un-deliverable.

Maybe you could email me direct to confirm the address. Thanks

Chris Basey

Chris,

I hope that E Mail worked?

If it didn't let me know and I'll try something else.

Thanks for any thing you have on the Battle.

S.B :

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

Still not recieved your EMail?

Can we try again or find another way of doing this as I would very much like to see want you have on the Norfolks

S.B

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I am not getting what you blokes are sending (EMAils that is)?

Is it possible to get the EMail address of the curator of the Museums of the Norfolk Regt and Hamps Regts so I can maybe get this info direct from them?

Thanks for your help

S.B

Thanks mate,

I look forword to hearing from you blokes.

Hope it all works?

S.B

• 9 years later...

Romford to Beirut is a great book, and well worth a slot in any ww1 buff's library. The Essex RHA were also involved with the Camel Corps, their adjt, Major Alastair Kirk attending most on the reunion dinners in the 20s and 30s. although they don't have their own history (or if they do i've never seen it...anyone? anyone?) this is covered in the RA Book "Forgotten Fronts"

David