Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force War Medal

HesterEsther

The MRI of one of my tommies, Lionel J Norton, shows him to have been a private in the Somerset Light Infantry and awarded the "TF War: Som L. I. TFM 72" as well as the Victory and British Medals. I take that to be the Territorial Force War Medal 1914-1920, with the "Som L. I." indentifying his regiment. Does anyone have any idea what the 72 part indicates?

Also, according to the LLT, most of the TF Battalions of the SLI were in India, Burma, Mesopotamia and Egypt for the early part of the war, which would explain why soldiers in those battalions did not qualify for either the 14 or 15 Star medals, but the TF instead. On the other hand, my tommy was still only a private when his card was written: would it not be unusual to have been on active service for 4 years and not been promoted above the rank of private? Perhaps he was based at home for most of the war, perhaps with a reserve battalion, and only went on active service overseas at the end, maybe with the 11th batt. What does anyone else think?

Thank you, HE unsure.gif

Your man was 2315 then 200582. I've been looking at numbers 200570 to 200590 on Ancestry, and all had previously had a similar original service number.

Of these men, the nearest pension record I could find was 200592 Nicholas Gilbert Cook (formerly 2331). He enlisted 4th Bn at Bath 14/8/1914. He went India 9/10/14, Persian Gulf 18/2/1916, India 30/4/1916, then Egypt 24/6/1916.

There's also 200594 George Coombes 2/4th Bn SLI. Enlisted 9/08/1914 at Bath.

There's a casualty, 200578 Frank Batham (formerly 2311) 1/4th bn SLI. Also enlisted Bath. Date of entry 5A Asiatic 14/8/1915. Died of disease Aug 1916 in Mesopotamia.

A few of the MICs i looked at had the same handwritten 72.

Hope there's a clue in there somewhere.....

Hester

The page number of the Territorial Force War Medal Roll where your mans name is entered.

All the best,

Paul.

Thank you, I never thought of looking for men with similar numbers, that's a real big help. Enlisting at Bath would fit as he lived just down the road at Keynsham in 1914, an easy journey for weekly parade night or whatever...

Thank you HE

Hester

The page number of the Territorial Force War Medal Roll where your mans name is entered.

All the best,

Paul.

Obvious, of course, why didn't I think of that! Thank you Paul

HE

Could I join this post and ask if the entitlement to the Territorial Force War Medal would be listed on the soldiers normal medal card?

If not, where would you find out if it was awarded to any particular soldier?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

BillyH

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the page you are looking for Happy Easter, TFWM page 72 (WO329-3262)

Thank you, that's extraordinarily kind of you! Many thanks...

HEsmile.gif

• 8 months later...

I am looking at a chap (Horace Benjamin Baldwin) 61st Signalling Coy, RE died at a CCS (Mendinghem) 21 Aug 1917. His medal card shows his entitlement to the T.F.WAR.R.E.TFM3 (page 134). All of which is comprehensible apart from TFM3 - what does the 3 indicate?

PS I have his entry from the roll.

Its the medal roll number, the T.F.W.M for the RE starts at RE/TFM/1 pages 1- 64, next RE/TFM/2 pages 65-131 next RE/TFM/3 pages 132-196 etc,etc