Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zhemchug armament

James A Pratt III

I have a question on the armament on the Russian WW I era crusier Zhemchug. JFS of WW I has the ship with 6-4.7inch guns. The Russian Fleet 1914-1917 has the ship with 8. The internet sources have 6 on one 8 on another. Does anyone have any idea who is right of was the ship upgunned during it's carear. Thanks in advance.

Russian Cruiser Jemtchug (1903) 3050 tons

6x 4.7 guns 45 cal

6x 3pdr

2x 1pdr

Hope this is the same ship as you need data on,

regards

khaki

Jan's for 1919 shows her as carrying 6 x 4.7 45 cal and 6 x 3pdr and 2 x 1prd. the layout plan have a single 4.7 in the bow and stern and a pair on each side

Not sure if this is the explanation, but the Russian Wikipedia page for Zhemchug contains a key sentence that doesn't appear in the English-language entry:

Проект вновь подвергся пересмотру по опыту первых боёв, и было принято решение об установке ещё пары 120-мм орудий, которые были взяты с крейсера «Дмитрий Донской».

The plans were revised again in light of experience gained in the initial battles [of the Russo-Japanese War], and it was decided to install another pair of 120mm guns, which were taken from the cruiser "Dmitry Donskoy" [which had had six of her ten 120mm guns removed in 1901].

It doesn't actually say how many guns were in the original design (nor does it give a source for this particular item of information!), but as all subsequent operational references seem to refer to 8x 120mm, it might be fair to assume that, after her launching and sometime between Feb 1904 (start of the RJW) and her commissioning in Jul/Aug 04, Zhemchug was uprated from 6 to 8 guns.

Adrian