Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pipe Music

von Smallhausen

Good morning Aad,

Just to add possible further confusion to the "MacKillop" search, I might mention a bit quoted from "Pipers of the Highland Regiments, 1854-1902."

I believe the Paul MacKillop you're enquiring about was born at Kilmore, Argyll, near Oban about 1815. He originally joined the 74th Highlanders and following retirement in 1855, went to the 76th Highland Light Infantry Militia. He was very active at the local highland games and often did well. One year he even received a special prize "for being the oldest piper at the games."

It was with the Militia that he had served 19 years as Pipe-Major.

There's a little more about him but hope this helps a bit

C-1-8.

• 4 years later...

Just found this old thread, whilst doing some research for our pipe band (Field Marshal Haig's Own Pipes & Drums). Although not fighting for the city of Wervicq itself, the 9th Scottish Division was involved in the advance towards the place (they took Becelaere), so there was an indirect involvement of a large Scottish formation.

bit off topic BUT I would like to hear I think its called the mucking of geordis byre any ideas

Biffo

58 minutes ago, BatterySergeantMajor said:

Just found this old thread, whilst doing some research for our pipe band (Field Marshal Haig's Own Pipes & Drums). Although not fighting for the city of Wervicq itself, the 9th Scottish Division was involved in the advance towards the place (they took Becelaere), so there was an indirect involvement of a large Scottish formation.

Hello,

If you want some more on this study, you might find the answers in IFF Ieper Kenniscentrum on wednesday. Ask for Roger Verbeke.

Kind regards,

Jef

Hi

We're in contact with Roger, one of our pipers performed the tune recently in Wervik. Would be interesting though to learn a bit more on the composer.

di any one record it ?:whistle: