Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenchmaps 1:50000 and smaller wanted

egbert

Walking the Somme: wanted trench maps 1:50.000 for overlaying on to modern 1:50.000 map for walking the German+British frontline between Gommecourt and Serre as well as Serre-Thiepval; maybe Croonaert comes to the help??

Egbert

Can't help specifically BUT when are you walking?

Martin

There are no British maps in 1/50,000 scale, but a few of the German maps on the German Trench Maps CD Rom are in this scale. I don't have it to hand, but I am not sure any of them are of this part of the front.

Martin: 28/29 Aug.; 90% (attached to a business trip to Koblenz) safe;

Paul : there was one posting here earlier which I cannot trace anymore ; somebody (maybe Croonaert) posted the following map which I'd like to use for the southern sector as well = but I don't know anymore who posted this modified map

post-12-1091929761.jpg

Egbert,

Can I suggest that you would be far better served by using the 1:25,000 French IGN "Blue" series than to work with 1:50,000. The maps are widely available and can be obtained by mail order if needed. The extra detail on the ground is truly useful. The maps in question are also available on CD which is a boon. If you buy paper copies there are basically four that cover the 1916 battlefield, Bapaume, Acheux en Amienois, Albert & Bray sur Somme. One source for these would be WFA commodities (see WFA site). They should be easily available in France from shops in Amiens, Albert, Peronne or from the Historial at Peronne or the Thiepval Vistor centre shop

The trick then would be to use an image manipulation software to rescale any trench maps you can lay hands on to the appropriate scale to overlay. Common sources would be the Trench Map CD or scans of the GH Smith maps or whatever you can lay your hands on.

Good Luck.

Egbert.

As Paul has mentioned, the British didn't make "Trench-maps" in the scale of 1:50,000. True "Trench-maps" (ie.those showing actual trenches) were only produced (officially) in 1:5,000, 1:10,000, and 1:20,000 scale. Occasionally (especially 1918) you can encounter 1:40,000 scale maps that show some trench locations and defenses, but the detail of trnches on these are not good. My personal favourite scale for a trench-map is the 1:20,000.

Here's a couple of examples for the area you require....

1. April 1916...

post-12-1091955877.jpg

and..

2. July 1918 (one of my particular favourites for this area because of the amount of detail shown for all trenches - you can still work out the 1st July 1916 front-line on this one)...

Dave. (PS both these maps are 1:20,000 scale, but I haven't reproduced them to scale here)

post-12-1091956093.jpg

Paul : there was one posting here earlier which I cannot trace anymore ; somebody (maybe Croonaert) posted the following map which I'd like to use for the southern sector as well = but I don't know anymore who posted this modified map

This is my map overlay. What other areas are you after? I have some more done.

Thank you for posting these great trenchmaps. I will use them all!!!

But since I do own all the 1:50000 maps of complete Flanders and complete Somme, I'd like to stick with those for my next visit. I will not have time to buy and prepare the suggested 1:25k ers because my business trip leaves me only Saturday/Sunday 28/29 Aug before returning to Madison County.

BMAC also comes to the rescue: so the depicted scan is indeed yours. Would you please be so kind and send your series starting with Serre and going southeast via Thiepval etc?