Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll Date

munchkin

Hi All,

I wanted to know if the entry adjacent to "Date of entry therein", is the date of arriving in France or does mean it something else entirely.

Thanks

Glynn.

It is disembarkation date. Although (and there are several other threads on the forum on this subject if you search), it appears not to have been used consistently and date of embarkation sometimes appears.

Thanks Chris,

I wondered because his relative went out with him, but his date is different. Anyway cleared up now.

Thanks Chris.

Glynn.

Hi All,

I wanted to know if the entry adjacent to "Date of entry therein", is the date of arriving in France or does mean it something else entirely.

Thanks

Glynn.

The "Date of Entry Therein" is usually a few Days[France usually the Next Day]/Weeks after date of Embarkation{Depending on where it was they were "Therein"~ing To!}However if the Date of Entry Therein{Disembarkation}or Embarkation{Leaving UK} is too far removed from the Units date of entry into their War Zone,it may just mean that the Men/Man in Question may have been in a Later draft of Re~Inforcements[A Good source of Reference for Line Regiments Initial Dates of Entry is Brig E.A.James' ::"British Regiments 1914~1918"~ Samson Publishing {Various Editions 1970s~80s}]

Thanks Harry,

I wondered why their dates were different. It could have been that one went out on the monday and the other on the tuesday (so to speak). When you think about it, this would make a lot of sense. It would have been impossible for one boat to have taken the whole Bn over to France in one go, i would have thought.

Thanks again Harry

Glynn.