Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Philip Davis, 3rd Manchesters

John_Hartley

Lt Davis is recorded by CWGC and SDGW as serving with 3rd Manchesters. This was the reserve battalion and never left England. He is buried in Busigny Communal Cemetery and is shown as having died of wounds.

My puzzle is how does a reserve unit officer come to be injured in France. Best guess so far is the simple one that his battalion is wrong and, by the time he was wounded, he had transferred to an active unit. Does anyone else have thoughts on this or another scenario?

John

B)

I have come across a similar situation. In my case the man was identified as being of the 3rd Batt of his Regt. attached to the 1st. Presumably he had not been officially transferred to the regular Battalion.

I have found that very often these 3rd Bn officers are attached to the regular battalions of their regiment - given that the 2nd Manchesters were not far from Busigny at various points in late 1918 maybe he served with them?

I think that the main point is that officers posted on commissioning to Reserve and Extra Reserve battalions were granted Special Reserve, as opposed to Regular or Temporary commissions. Consequently, their parent unit was the Reserve or Extra Reserve battalion and, if posted to another type of battalion, they were considered to be attached to it.

Charles M