Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 casualty not recorded

nswarchitects

In St Michael's Churchyard Shirley Derbyshire a family headstone states Charles Ernest Green son of James & Annie Green killed in action Oct 2 1918 aged 23. "Our loved one sleeps in Flanders Fields". Not found in either CWGC or SDGW records. Can anybody help please?

In St Michael's Churchyard Shirley Derbyshire a family headstone states Charles Ernest Green son of James & Annie Green killed in action Oct 2 1918 aged 23. "Our loved one sleeps in Flanders Fields". Not found in either CWGC or SDGW records. Can anybody help please?

Is he the man below, (possibly commemorated on his Grandparents grave?)-

GREEN, CHARLES ERNEST

Service No:241283

Date of Death:11/10/1918

Regiment/Service:Hampshire Regiment

1st/4th Bn.

Grave ReferenceIV. C. 11.

CemeteryTEHRAN WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Eldest son of Charles Elson Green and Florence E.B. Green, of "Fairfield," 76, St. James Rd., Shirley.

SDGW shows born at Dudley. Dates aren't always correct on headstones or war memorials.

Cheers,

SteveJ.

Is he the man below, (possibly commemorated on his Grandparents grave?)-

GREEN, CHARLES ERNEST

Service No:241283

Date of Death:11/10/1918

Regiment/Service:Hampshire Regiment

1st/4th Bn.

Grave ReferenceIV. C. 11.

CemeteryTEHRAN WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Eldest son of Charles Elson Green and Florence E.B. Green, of "Fairfield," 76, St. James Rd., Shirley.

SDGW shows born at Dudley. Dates aren't always correct on headstones or war memorials.

Cheers,

SteveJ.

Tehran is a long way from Flanders....this possibly isn't the same person.

Will

The parents seem to be different!

Could there have been two men from same place/extended family with same name.(This occurs in my family and causes confusion.

The CWGC could also have ben confused recording only one death.

In 1901 Charlie Green, aged 5, born Shirley Derbyshire, is living with his parents James Green, Blacksmith and Annie, in Derby Lane, Shirley.

In 1911 Charles Ernest GREEN aged 16, Born Derbyshire Shirley, is working on a farm in Brailsford, Derby as a Waggoner.

In 1911 Charles GREEN JUNR, son, aged 24, a Pawnbrokers Assistant born in Stourbridge, is living in Southampton with his parents Charles Elsom GREEN, a Gas Manipulator, and Florence E B Green.

(Both parents and a younger sister of Charles were born in Dudley)

Tehran is a long way from Flanders....this possibly isn't the same person.

Will

He probably isn't the man, but it's always worth a look- I've been sent around the block and back many times due to errant details on headstones and memorials! :wacko:

SteveJ.

Almost certainly the Tehran man was from Shirley Warwickshire not the one in question who was born in Shirley Derbyshire but thanks for looking SteveJ.

Just checked GRO overseas & the only entry for 1918 is the lad buried at Tehran

Cheers

Chris

I have now found that his name also appears on the Shirley parish WW1 war memorial inside St Michael's Church so I am even more convinced that he a man who is not recorded by the CWGC.

There is a C E Green listed as having died at sea, April 1918.

He's not listed as a passenger, could be a Merchent Navy

On the Gravestone, could they have used "Flanders Fields" as in the poem, maybe not as an actual location ?

Grant

There is a C E Green listed as having died at sea, April 1918.

...........Grant

A search through the local papers using April 1918 as a start date could be a good next move.

CGM

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest RMGreen

Charles Ernest Green who is commemorated on his parents gravestone in Shirley churchyard is my husbands great uncle. I have been researching the family and discovered that Charlie went to Canada on 17th January 1913. He travelled and worked as a farm labourer in both Canada and America and on 5th June 1917 was on the Draft Register at Lake Villa, Illinois. I am still doing some research about him and would love to find his war record. I know that he was a Private First Class in the 108th Ammunition Train, 33rd Division and unfortunately died on 2nd October 1918 aged 23. He is buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, Romagne, France. If anyone can help me with this research I would be very interested and grateful.

Ah, how obvious when you think about it - US Army and therefore not on CWGC because it's not a commonwealth war grave .....

Well found everyone !

There is a possibility I will be near to the cemetery in late September if anyone would like a photo of his grave.

I remember when this thread began a couple of years ago. What a great ending.

Peter, why not put a photo on this thread.

Cheers Andy.

And just found this:

The National Personnel Records Centre (NPRC) in St. Louis maintains World War 1 official military personnel files.

There is a down side to this though. On July 12, 1973, a fire ripped through the archive. Approximately 16-18 million military personnel files were destroyed. There were no duplicate files and they were never put onto microfilm. This equates to roughly 80% of service records lost from 1912 to 1960.

It's a shame, but you never know. If you don't ask you don't get.

Cheers Andy.

Guest RMGreen

That was my next step to see if his records had survived the fire. It would be great if they have but unlikely. His family never spoke about him and there are no relatives who remember him now. It would just be good to add more to his story.

Can't promise for definite, but I am going to Verdun and this cemetery is about 20-odd miles away. I will do my best, as these stories appeal to me. I will definitely post a photo on this thread if I get there.

Almost certainly the Tehran man was from Shirley Warwickshire not the one in question who was born in Shirley Derbyshire but thanks for looking SteveJ.

When I first read his CWGC entry my thoughts went immediately to Shirley, Hampshire (matching the regiment). Never knew there were so many Shirleys!

• 4 months later...