Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German war memorial about to be demolished

egbert

Consequently tiny cemeteries in far flung places often get left to return to nature.

Which was seriously intended during and shortly after WW1 by the German architects who designed the cemeteries. They thought that the interest wouldn't last and that the upkeep couldn't eternally be done and designed cemeteries which would stand out even if nature had taken them completely over...

• 1 month later...

I just found this contemporary photograph of Sedan memorial in the then German war grave cemetery. I wonder if anybody knows the current status of said memorial or the plans how to proceed with it?

post-80-0-26995500-1357644320_thumb.jpg

Hi Egbert,

I'm next there at Easter so i can't take a current photo. I've not seen any news story about its demolition or renovation so I suspect things are as they were. We both hope that it is preserved in some form so as long as it is still there, there's hope.

• 2 months later...

hi Egbert, I visited the cemetery yesterday (02/04/2013) and I'm pleased to say that the memorial still stands:

post-48281-0-12861700-1364981437_thumb.j

And

post-48281-0-55946800-1364981446_thumb.j

There appeared to be more burials in the infant plot behind the memorial and in front; hopefully this will increase the chances of the memorial being made safe as destruction might impact on these surrounding graves.

PS. re John's post 59: According to the signs, Sedan is currently twinned with Eisenach

PPS. I'm not sure that continually bringing up Article 225 of the Versailles Treaty (I saw your posts on the French media sites) will do much to engender support locally in Sedan, particularly when there are no German wargraves there now.

Thanks for the update! I have nothing heard in the French media since a while. Appreciate posting your current photo

• 2 months later...

the cracks in the pilliars dont look good as for the rest of this memorial its little better what have they been doing since it was first brought to there attention in 1971?,Now 52 years latter may be better just to repalce it as you cant see what damage has been caused by things like cold,frost,etc.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront, it is a shame how this was left to deteriorate. John

• 1 year later...

THE MONUMENT IS SAVED!

This coming Saturday all involved parties who contribute to the necessary 260000€ funding, French and German authorities and those of the city of Sedan and its history society, will sign the papers for full restoration of the German WW1 monument:

http://www.lunion.fr/788735/article/2016-08-23/la-souscription-pour-la-renovation-du-monument-allemand-de-sedan-officiellement

Edited by egbert

13 minutes ago, egbert said:

THE MONUMENT IS SAVED!

Hi Egbert,

Great news ! Although I think it is still subject to the history society raising its contribution. It will be interesting to see the plans for what the restored monument will look like.

Steve

1 hour ago, SteveMarsdin said:

Hi Egbert,

Great news ! Although I think it is still subject to the history society raising its contribution. It will be interesting to see the plans for what the restored monument will look like.

Steve

Right.

And I am sure you will post some great pictures in the future about the restoration progress like your fantastic 2013 images.;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed...!!!

• 1 year later...

Now that would seem to be good news!

That's good indeed. I look forward to seeing some images when the work is complete.

I'm over in Jamoigne at Easter so I'll try and pop across to Sedan to find out more  and take some photos of my own.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Evening, all.

I posted the pix below on another thread, same topic and have just hit on this one. Anyhow, herewith as the completed restoration looks. I was visiting Sedan whilst having a look at the Franco-Prussian (German, perhaps better) battlefield of 1870 about three weeks ago.

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2082 (1).jpg

2 hours ago, nigelcave said:

...Franco-Prussian (German, perhaps better) ...

Thank you. ;):P

Dave