Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

56th Division, Gommecourt 1-7-16

Michelle Young

• Admin

I have been contacted by a man who is writing a book about Gommecourt with particular reference to the 56th division. He is not internet savvy so I am asking on his behalf if any one has any material regarding the units of the division for the period Feb-July 1916 can they please contact me and I will pass on the information.

Very many thanks,

Michelle

Michelle

As at 1 July:

167 Brigade- Bns 1 London, 3 London, 7 Mddx, 8 Mddx

168 Brigade- Bns 4 London, 12 LondonRangers, 13 LondonKensington, 14 London 1st London Scottish

169 Brigade- Bns 2 London, 5 London 1st London Rifle Brigade, 9 London Queen Vics Rifles, 16 London Queens Westminster Rifles

Also 5 bn Cheshires (Pioneers)

All above attached to VII Corps.

Hope this is useful, and correct!

Martin

Michelle,

here are a few notes taken from the 2nd Londons history. Having finnished training after the 56th Division was reconstituted the 167th Brigade moved up to the Hebuterne sector on the 4/5/16 and relieved a brigade of the 48th Division. The 169th Brigade had moved to the area of Souastre by the 19/5/16 and supplied work and carrying parties. On the three nights of the 25th, 26th and 27th May the 167th Brigade marked out, dug and wired 2,900 yards of new front line 400 yards out in no mans land with 1,500 yards of communication trenches. This for the cost of 8 men killed and 55 wounded. On the 24th June the 167th Brigade took over the divisions' front with all four battalions then on the 29th the 1st/2nd Londons relieved the 1st/7th Middlesex and 1st/3rd Londons. On the night of the 30th June the 168th Brigade assembled on the right attacking at 7:25 on the 1/7/16 with the London Scottish and the Rangers with the Kensingtons and 1st/4th Londons in support. The 169th Bde on the left had the 1st/9th and 1st/5th attack with the 1st/16 in support and the 1st/2nd Londons in reserve supplying carrying parties.

Hope this gives you some help.

Regards John Holmes.

• Admin

Martin, John

Very many thaks for the information, will pass it on. If anyone else has any material, particularly unpublished, I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

I would offer but I am 135,000 words into a book on the same subject. Like buses, nothing about the subject comes along in years and then two turn up at the same moment! :(

This is probably the same chap who approached me about the Cheshire's, via a WFA contact. But seeing as I'd got most of my information from Bill I declined to help.

John

Seems a little odd that someone would attempt a book before ascertaining whether someone was writing in the same field; given that the WW1 community is still relatively small, it would hardly have taken much time up.

Mind you I have met many people over the years 'working on a book', and in most cases am still waiting to read it. It really isn't as easy as it looks... :ph34r:

Paul

Assuming that this was the same chap, then he actually did know about Bill's book. Told me that "other sources" had also mentioned Bill. As you say, a bit odd he should be wanting to continue as he's at an earlier stage (as far as I know).

John

• 7 years later...

hi there. My gt uncle Malcolm Findlay was a Pte in the London Scottish and was a Military Servant. Before the war he was a also in service as a valet. Would this be automatic to him becoming a "batman". He died in Hebuterne 1st July 1916.