Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt F H W Guard

corisande

I am trying to get a little light on this man's time in West Africa.

Frederick Henry Wickham Guard click for my fuller notes

He appears to have gone to West Africa some time after 1910

He then found employment on the West African Railways in Sierra Leone

1914 Jul 1. Leaves UK on SS Mendi bound for Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana his profession is "traders assistant"

1914 Aug. Obtained a commission in the West African Field Force soon after the outbreak of hostilities.

1915 Returns to UK on SS Elmina . Boarded at Sierra Leone, travels 1st class and is a surveyor.

His MIC confirms WAFF Lt.

I would be interested in anything on him during his time in West Africa.

He went on to become a Lt.Col in France and Russia, and was Deputy OC of Auxiliaries in Ireland.

Corisande

Greetings

Unfortunately I am thousands of miles away from my library, and will be for the next month.

But then I will do a little research.

The lad probably served in the Gold Coast Regiment or as a Gold Coast Volunteer.

He certainly (because of his 14-15 star claim) served in the invasion of Togoland (http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/300143.html ) or in the invasion of German Kamerun ( http://www.deutsche-kriegsgeschichte.de/kam14-16.html ).

He had an interesting life, and obviously was never afraid to squeeze the trigger. Men like him kept the Empire going, and the ruthlessness that they had learned in the trenches was a vital part of the way that they subsequently operated.

You are researchimg some extremely interesting personalities.

Harry

Harry

Thanks. The depth of my ignorance in some areas like West Africa campaign shines out :) . As you say, many of these men were extremely interesting characters, one wonders what men like that do today - sit at home an watch soccer on TV?

I will follow up those references of yours and if you find anything else later I would be very grateful