Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AMARA WAR CEMETERY, IRAQ

Sandie Hayes

Considering the current situation I realise this is a real long shot but...

Does anyone have a photograph of Lance Corporal Harold Taylor's gravestone?

Info from CWGC:

Service No:TF/1349

Date of Death:01/08/1916

Regiment/Service:Middlesex Regiment 1st/10th Bn. attd. 1st/5th Bn. The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Grave ReferenceIV. B. 14.Cemetery AMARA WAR CEMETERY

He died of typhus.

I've now visited all the graves/memorials of the men named on the Cronton War Memorial except his. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never put a poppy on his grave but I would love a photograph.

Does anyone know if this cemetery has been victim of recent protests and vandalism?

Many thanks,

Sandie

Hi Sandie

Amara war Cemetery,at this time there are no headstones, the British army found them in a warehouse after the 2nd Gulf war

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2958143.stm

I think the chances of finding a picture would be very rare

Regards

Ian

The CWGC record below conflicts with the BBC report. I was always under the impression that this cemetery had no headstones long before either Gulf War conflict.

Historical Information

Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force on 3 June 1915 and it immediately became a hospital centre. The accommodation for medical units on both banks of the Tigris was greatly increased during 1916 and in April 1917, seven general hospitals and some smaller units were stationed there.

Amara War Cemetery contains 4,621 burials of the First World War, more than 3,000 of which were brought into the cemetery after the Armistice. 925 of the graves are unidentified. In 1933, all of the headstones were removed from this cemetery when it was discovered that salts in the soil were causing them to deteriorate. Instead a screen wall was erected with the names of those buried in the cemetery engraved upon it. Plot XXV is a Collective Grave, the individual burial places within this are not known.

There are also seven non-war graves in the cemetery.

See also this thread started in 2003.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2050

Hello Peter

Thanks for the info, My Great Grandfather is buried in Amara war Cemetery grave no XVI. G.8

best regards

Ian

• 2 years later...

I've just discovered that my Great Grandfather's brother in law Harold Wiseman is buried at Amara in Plot: XIV. G. 10 He was a member of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 6th Battalion Service Number 15869.

I understand that the gravestones were removed some time ago and therefore a picture of his grave would be impossible but does anyone have a general photo of the cemetery they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Thank you