Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - all speakers now announced

AlanCurragh

Don't forget, those who are heading for the Premier Inn on Hagley road, or even elsewhere on the Friday night, that some of us will be heading from the Old Contemptibles to Akbar's Balti restaurant next door to the hotel. Of course one forum member emerged last year from her taxi still carrying two pints, but she will be nameless provided that the usual payment arrives promptly.

Keith

Don't forget, those who are heading for the Premier Inn on Hagley road, or even elsewhere on the Friday night, that some of us will be heading from the Old Contemptibles to Akbar's Balti restaurant next door to the hotel.

I had thought that these establishments must be close. Within staggering distance it would seem. Excellent.

Yes, and I won't mention about making sure you book your rooms (or airplane ticket for that matter) for the right days now, will I :D

We had the back room at the Old Contemptibles booked last year for us, anyone able to do it again this year? It worked really well I think,

PS, I did hear that the wonderfully nice lady who exited the taxi carrying pints was a really, really, really nice person and was only doing it to be helpful :lol:

What day is it, I have just booked my accommodation at a bargain rate for the two nights, in March I think.

Keith

Alas a rather wierd decision, by those who know best in British Forces Germany, to make the Easter holidays for us not the usual (i.e. with Easter weekend in the middle) means this will be my first absence from the event. I am suitably gutted, even more so as I now read that Mr Hart will be entertaining all and sundry.

I wish everyone the very best weekend and make sure some photos appear on here afterwards (a video of Pete would also be good as nobody I talk to believes my description of him) :whistle:

Jim

Jim

You are a braver man than I.

I have never attempted to describe Pete Hart, for I recognise that I lack the depth of vocubulary to do the subject justice.

Bruce

What price have people managed for the Premier Inn, Hagley Road so far (if you don't mind me asking)?

Neil

Neil

At the moment £103 for 2 nights, not refundable or for amendment. There is a dearer option, not paid in advance, which can be cancelled if they do an email deal in the new year, but this time I decided to make my booking and go with the £103.00 That does not include breakfast.

Keith

Certainly acknowledge Premier Inn's superiority to Travelodge but the very adjacent T'Lodge Broadway Plaza is still available at the moment for £19 a night - the savings will pay for a fair amount of curry, tipple and a breakfast or 2.

Mine is £103 as well. Mind you I am staying in Merthyr Tydfil for a family wedding in early November, not a time when you'd expect the place to be exactly busy, and the best price I could get for Travelodge was only £5 cheaper! I suspect that the advertised lower room price for most of these places is a complete con and they only sell one or two at those prices to keep on the right side of the Advertising Standards people.

Travelodge do some good deals. I regularly book the one at Kew for my trips to the archives, and the most I have ever paid is £19, and I have rooms in the spring for 312. I find their breakfasts ordinary, and normally reckon the one at the NA to be cheaper and better. I stayed twice at the Broadway Travelodge for the first two GWF conferences, but on the second occasion I had a very disturbed night when it filled up at about 2.00am with youngsters from a nightclub who carried on partying for some hours.

I took advantage of a relatively cheap deal last year at the premier inn, and was sold once I spotted Akbar's.

Keith

I have just booked the Eaton Hotel in Hagley Road - if only to see what it is like. At £60 per night including breakfast the price is pretty much the same as the Premier Inn price being quoted above. It is just the other side of the traffic lights from the Premier Inn so I should be able to stagger back from Akbar's without too much trouble. If it is not up to much it will be the Premier Inn again for 2014 - but the Eaton is quite well rated on TripAdvisor so I am hopeful.

Neil

Alan

Please put me down for two places for the conference + dinner. Deposit of £20 sent via paypal.

Looking forward to it very much already

Thanks

Paul

Hello Alan

cheque being posted tomorrow for deposit. Please put me down for conference and dinner. Thanks for all that you are doing. Regards, Michael Bully

I think the Tally Ho must be indebted to Alan, with all the WW1 related business they're now getting !!! (Gallipoli Association, WFA Conference today, WFA AGM next year,,,,)

Hi Alan

I have paid my deposit via PayPal.

Regards Doug.

Mine is £103 as well. Mind you I am staying in Merthyr Tydfil for a family wedding in early November, not a time when you'd expect the place to be exactly busy, and the best price I could get for Travelodge was only £5 cheaper! I suspect that the advertised lower room price for most of these places is a complete con and they only sell one or two at those prices to keep on the right side of the Advertising Standards people.

Goggle Natt du lodge. Much nicer place to stay near Merthyr Tydfil. I would offer my sofa but the dog would be put out.

Goggle Natt du lodge. Much nicer place to stay near Merthyr Tydfil. I would offer my sofa but the dog would be put out.

Unfortunately the grooms mum (my sister) had decreed that this be the gathering place for those members of the family travelling from afar. Just got back, I've seen better furnished prison cells and the heating didn't work.