Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire hussars D squadron

spydde

As a newbie to this site I was hoping for some help with my research (and my chum Tim's) We are currently putting together a riding troop based on D squadron Lancashire hussars as they embarked for France in November 1915, I am working with the help of Stephen Bull at Preston museum, and have acquired a lot of information from his vaults.

Tim has managed to obtain an extensive listing of men and officers, but going off the figures I am working with seems about 20 men light with potentialy a missing last page with Private Tyler being the last on the list having seen a trumpeter Williams mentioned elsewhere.

can anyone help please?

So far the research is going slowly uphill with the handbrake on, but we are getting there and I believe a complete list of members is a good starting point..

As a side point

The troop is now starting to train and the kit is getting there, We will train people from scratch , but membership is not a right and is on a group decision. if anyone is interested as being cavalry there is a lot of training and skill needed

Photos will soon be available

Quiet so far....

I am in touch with someone who has compiled a history of the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry and will pass on your enquiry in case he can help. If you send me a personal message with your email address I will ask him to contact you.

D

Hi Daggers

I tried to send a PM but it didn't work... My e-mail is

Tim B

Tim

You may have to make more posts before using the pm. I have noted your address and suggest you delete to avoid use by bandits. There is a little box 'edit'. Click on that an then delete the sentence.

D

Hullo again... I have used the PM before so I guess the gremlins have got in the works ..

Tim B

Thanks Peter...

Many thanks Daggers and Peter, I have emailed my details, but for some reason cannot email daggers

At this stage we are gathering and verifying the data. there is nothing worse than standing in front of the public and watching your facts crumble to dust in front of someone who either knows the facts or is good at making it up

:0)

Again thanks for the data, Working through the records in Preston is time consuming and it is good to have a solid start point.. who knows where this journey leads. so far we have identified one of the smiths (with photos) and we have a photo from the unit arrival in France with lots of names and question marks as to who is in fact who.

Steve

Thanks Peter...

you aren't accepting emails for some reason Steve

I am in touch with someone who has compiled a history of the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry and will pass on your enquiry in case he can help. If you send me a personal message with your email address I will ask him to contact you.

D

you aren't accepting emails for some reason Steve

D

Spidde,

I wish you well with this great challenge. A worthwhile effort!

As re enactors we're looking forward to the challenge of getting the equipment and drill together but also the research into the people who we admire for their courage. These chaps were the first to go before conscription took hold, so brave.

Hiya Stan,

Thanks for the compliment, At the moment we are chasing lottery funding for the project, which is going suprisingly well, as you can imagine the kit is coming together, and I have now sourced virtually all the equipment and badges you could imagine.

My thought is to pull together a mobile museum level display of a cavalry encampment in support of the troop. possibly putting together cavalry lines and officer & enlisted men tentage. taking the research to the people so to speak, that and possibly getting some form of competition in the north next year...I have a lovely georgian estate nearby where they have little going on, that cries out for a riding display /contest of some form..

The good bit is that now we have most of the uniforms and tack - we can reproduce it at cost, even made a set of saddle wallets last week.

hope you have a good time in Poland in a couple of weeks time.

As they say 'All great journeys start with one step'

think we have at least made it to the pub on the corner :0)

Spydde

Spidde,

I wish you well with this great challenge. A worthwhile effort!

• 7 months later...

Update on the endeavour,

We have obtained good backing for the troop, and have funded a research project with some of it, having obtained a substantial archive of related photographs. we are looking at going live with our portable museum next year, and the troop of riders is expanding slowly, having lowered the bar for riders, going more on enthusiasm for what we are doing above riding skill, and then teaching to ride. so far this has paid off.

But would be nice to expand beyond the regular six riders to a full diivision (dreaming of a reenactment troop) feel justified in having kitted up as an officer, and starting to believe I was being pessimistic buying the dragoons uniform 'just in case'

even got funding for a full season of riding next year..to infinity and beyond..keep your eyes pealed for us

• 5 years later...

Hi

I have two medals from the Great War and researching the name. The medals belonged to Albert C Bansor of the Lancashire Hussars and i think he might be related to me. My Fathers mother was married to a man killed in WW1 and she then married his brother who was my Grandad, they were Bausor but our name has often been misspelt. Albert was from Chelmsford Essex where we are from which confuses me why he would of been in a Lancashire regiment in Liverpool. On my Mothers side he Grandad was killed on the first day of the Somme and they were from Ormskirk but their name was Rodgers. Can anyone please help me with this

Jerry Bausor

• 4 weeks later...