Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Invention of the periscope rifle

centurion

Centurion,

Your recent interest in the Gallipoli campaign does you much credit, and there are many here on the GWF whom will be only too happy to help and assist you in furthering your studies.

The War Office in the person of Lord Kitchener himself, specifically denied the use of any elements of the RFC at Gallipoli. The RNAS had to fill the gap and their earliest aeroplanes were hardly up to the task.

Likewise, the WO could not supply enough shells for the artillery. On 22nd May 1915 GHQ (MEF) ordered “a further economy” of ammunition, fixing the daily scale for the 29th Div. as follows

18 pdr. 2 rounds per gun

10 pdr. 4 rounds per gun

60 pdr. 2 rounds per gun

similarly their 4.5 & 6 inch howitzers were rationed to 2 rounds per gun per day!

The Royal Navy, which wished to clear the Dardanelles of mines, could not find enough mine-sweepers, and sent instead trawlers from the North Sea. The current flowing down that channel was nearly as fast as the trawlers' maximum speed. This led to these vessels becoming nearly stationary sitting ducks for for the Turkish guns.

Now, if an earlier version of the periscope rifle was readily available, do you think that the powers-that-be in Whitehall would have diverted any significant supply of same periscope rifles to the eastern Mediterranean?

Somehow I think not.

And I thank G-d for the inventiveness and ingenuity of whoever it was on Gallipoli who started the idea there.

regards

Michael

Centurion,

Your recent interest in the Gallipoli campaign does you much credit, and there are many here on the GWF whom will be only too happy to help and assist you in furthering your studies.

The War Office in the person of Lord Kitchener himself, specifically denied the use of any elements of the RFC at Gallipoli. The RNAS had to fill the gap and their earliest aeroplanes were hardly up to the task.

Likewise, the WO could not supply enough shells for the artillery. On 22nd May 1915 GHQ (MEF) ordered "a further economy" of ammunition, fixing the daily scale for the 29th Div. as follows

18 pdr. 2 rounds per gun

10 pdr. 4 rounds per gun

60 pdr. 2 rounds per gun

similarly their 4.5 & 6 inch howitzers were rationed to 2 rounds per gun per day!

The Royal Navy, which wished to clear the Dardanelles of mines, could not find enough mine-sweepers, and sent instead trawlers from the North Sea. The current flowing down that channel was nearly as fast as the trawlers' maximum speed. This led to these vessels becoming nearly stationary sitting ducks for for the Turkish guns.

Now, if an earlier version of the periscope rifle was readily available, do you think that the powers-that-be in Whitehall would have diverted any significant supply of same periscope rifles to the eastern Mediterranean?

Somehow I think not.

And I thank G-d for the inventiveness and ingenuity of whoever it was on Gallipoli who started the idea there.

regards

Michael

I was not making a Gallipoli based question - I don't suffer from the same obsessions (or indeed patronise others or make personal remarks) - I was querying the claimed origins of the periscope rifle (ie that it was an Australian invention) which is why I started this thread. I'm not sure how your analysis of the shortages at Gallipoli gets us any closer to that.

I was querying the claimed origins of the periscope rifle (ie that it was an Australian invention) which is why I started this thread.

Centurion,

If that is all you were doing, then you answered your own question in your original post. There is documentary evidence showing that the periscope rifle was used by the British and French on the Western Front earlier in 1915, and this you have mentioned. Therefore, the original 'invention' of the object was not Australian.

Now, did the Australian's know of the periscope rifle before they began using it at Gallipoli? That's a different question, and possibly would have been a better title for the thread.

Cheers Andy.

Photograph of the “factory on the beach” as recorded in the Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918 (Volume II, page 251) by C.E.W. BEAN. The man with the periscope rifle is believed to be Lance Corporal (later Sergeant) William Charles Bullock BEECH himself. As William BEECH was 36 years old upon enlistment, it is likely that the subject behind the rifle is in fact the inventor of this device. This photo clearly shows at least 9 recently constructed periscope rifles, ready to be issued to troops in the front line. It is clear from this photograph that conventional screws and nails were being used in the construction process. These newly produced devices are completely devoid of any wire or similar being used to brace the joints of the framework. The claim of the periscopes being made from “broken boxwood and wire” more than likely refers only to BEECH’s prototype which was made in the front line where proper carpentry tools and building materials were not available.

post-63666-0-55221000-1333142187.jpg

Another photograph of the Beech Periscope Rifle being used in the trenches at Gallipoli. This image also shows the main body of the periscope being attached to the pistol grip of the rifle in a fixture point behind the trigger guard. Close inspection of the photograph reveals that wire or other similar strand has been wrapped around the pistol grip in order to anchor the rifle to the periscope.

Also, note the hooked quillion bayonet with the webbing bayonet frog.

post-63666-0-51085700-1333142310.jpg

Is that a modern picture taken at Fort Nelson?

Yes, and the photograph is of me (kneeling) and my catapult with my highly trained crew. From that range I have thrown a 1Lb 'jam-tin' out of the fort, but as that spoils the demo we only did it after the public went home.

We were trying to achieve the Territorial look, as we were portraying the 8th Hants, the Isle of Wight Rifles.

You are forgiven the copyright infringment :D

Gareth

We were trying to achieve the Territorial look, as we were portraying the 8th Hants, the Isle of Wight Rifles.

Gareth

Gareth,

Great stuff, you all certainly looked the part, and I am pleased to have played my small part in bringing your " Territorial activities " to the wider GWF membership. Perhaps you should post some of your other photographs, they are very educational. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

LF

If we look at all the photos it becomes clear that at least four different designs of periscope rifle are in use at Gallipoli. There seem to be at least two varieties of what we might call the Beech, one with the diagonal attached to the 'pistol grip' and one with it attached forward of the trigger (which looks a more practical proposition). Possibly the first is the pre production model! Then we have the Shout and the RE periscope rifles - both of which have a diagonal to forward of the trigger but are of different construction to either of the Beech. What or which came first and whether there was any cross fertilization must be a moot point (as must the degree to which their designers were already aware of earlier periscope rifles in use on the Western front). What I do find particular is that there appear to be two centres of manufacture for periscope rifles - an RE and and Australian one which would seem to represent a certain inefficiency and lack of coordination.

What I do find particular is that there appear to be two centres of manufacture for periscope rifles - an RE and and Australian one which would seem to represent a certain inefficiency and lack of coordination.

That last part just about sums up the Gallipoli campaign doesn't it - at least 2 centres for manufacturing would be needed as the various attacking forces were situated on different beachheads ie. Anzac, Helles, Suvla

Cheers, S>S

This short extract shows that the Turkish marksman would try to shoot out the periscope mirrors, as small as they were.

" From the diary of one Australian Gallipoli veteran, is an indicator of the skill displayed by the Turkish marksmen. In the trenches you can see nothing either to the front or rear but the little length of trench that you happen to be in, and it is sure death to put your head up to look around. Even the periscope mirrors, measuring only three inches square at most, are picked off one after the other.

[The Gallipoli Diary of Sergeant Lawrence, Sir Ronald East (ed), Melbourne, 1983, pp.21-22] "

This short extract shows that the Turkish marksman would try to shoot out the periscope mirrors, as small as they were.

As would German, French, British, Italian, KuK, Bulgarian, Belgian, Serbian, Romanian, Russian and American marksmen on every front if and when the opportunity presented itself. Nothing special about the Turks or Gallipoli in that respect

Another excellent photograph of Beech's periscope rife being used at Gallipoli, 1915.

The caption reads :-

" Gallipoli, Turkey, 1915. In a deep trench, an Australian soldier (right) prepares a periscope rifle for firing while several of his colleagues look on. At left, an empty biscuit tin has been fitted into a cavity hollowed out in the trench wall in order to provide storage space. The soldier (left) is a Staff Sergeant. "

post-63666-0-23556000-1333195947.jpg

Beech Persiscope Rifle in use - Gallipoli 1915.

Photograph caption reads :-

" A sniper team (Beech Periscope Rifle operator and observer) man a trench somewhere on the Gallipoli peninsula.

Note that other rifles with hooked quillion bayonets fixed, are standing nearby in the trench ‘at the ready’."

LF

post-63666-0-22913100-1333291949.jpg

I'm not sure how your analysis of the shortages at Gallipoli gets us any closer to that

Then let me explain.

To my mind at least, your question lacks context. I feel that if you understand the context (Gallipoli) then you will be better able to understand and appreciate why the periscope rifle had to be invented (or re-invented if you prefer) in 1915.

The WO could not supply enough shells. Kitchener ignored Hamilton's query about his shells which went missing on their journey through France to Marseille. And, unhelpfully, he suggested the MEF make their own arrangements for the shells to be shipped down the Mediterranean

Some of the aeroplanes sent out to the MEF were recognised by Samson as being so underpowered that his did not even bother to unpack them

Etc Etc

The context is that the whole operation was run on a shoe string, and that included the infantry equipment.

Since no periscope rifles were supplied, and since there is no evidence to suggest that blue-prints for such devises were supplied either, the things then had to be invented from scratch on the peninsula.

And it does not really matter how many times they were invented before that.

Just stumbled on this (link below) - two British patents for periscope rifles registered within one week, September 1915 - doesn't really address the original question but fascinating nonetheless, and excellent photos.

And just to throw something else into the debate, follow the link at the bottom of the article to the Youlten Hyperscope - invented in 1903, patented in 1914 and proclaiming that "Up to 2,000 yards, a ' Hypo-marksman' can now take steady aim, with his head as well as body in perfect safety below any available cover from 12 inches upwards!"

Cheers

Manxy

Item from the truly excellent NRA (UK) Historic Arms Resource Centre site

Enfield Periscope rifle - NRA Museum

Even more variations ! as per this report, and the series of attached photographs :-

" The following photographic evidence suggests that a well manufactured variation of Beech's Periscope Rifle was utilised during the Gallipoli campaign. Very little information or documentation exists regarding who manufactured this style of device; or when it first came into service. However, it is quite clear from the photographs that this version was not simply made from “broken boxwood and wire”. The upper framework is clearly made from a heavy gauge, metallic wire of some description and somehow welded or fitted together to form the frame. This is joined onto an angled timber body. But of note is the wire portion which extends forward from below the rifle butt and joins to the foreguard of the rifle furniture (in front of the magazine)."

LF

post-63666-0-35641100-1334009199.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering about the recoil. Wouldn't the rifle buck up when fired without a shoulder to brace it?

From 'Nulli Secundus' History of the 2nd Battalion AIF

12/5/1915 " The first Brennan TM was brought up to the Bn sector, and was soon in action. a few days later Maj Blamey noticed L/Cpl Beech making a strange framework, which he developed into the trench periscope, an invaluable weapon. Thus the 2nd was the first to employ these two instruments. "

Beech was in the 2nd battalion. The source of this may have been from Bean?

Mike

Is there any evidence that Beech independently invented a periscope rifle rather than copying an existing idea?

Yes, see The Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday, 7th December 1915 (page 10):

“When Sergeant Beech came out of the trenches for a spell this device was brought under the notice of the Anzac Inventors' Board, presided over by Major-General A. Skeet, RE, and was subsequently recognised as an original invention......”

William Charles Bullock Beech

http://cas.awm.gov.a...raph/P00600.002

Born Wellington, Shropshire, England

Served 2 years in South Africa with Volunteer Field Artillery

Served 5 years in Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry

prior to enlisting on 24 Sep 1914, (at age of 36 years & 4 months) was employed as a builder's foreman

For his AIF record see http://recordsearch....e.asp?B=3068366

In particular, the following pages are of interest to this thread:

page 14; Beech's letter 30Jan1920 to Minister of Defence in Melbourne

page 18; General Birdwood's letter of 14Sep1920 to War Office, London

quote - “...I concur in the statements made by Mr. W. C. Beech in his letter of the 30th January 1920. From my personal observations, I am able to speak of the considerable value of his device to our troops in Gallipoli and I may state that every Battalion that we had with us, very greatly appreciated Mr. Beech's device then.

I am, therefore, very glad to be able to fully support Mr. Beech's claims for a reward....”

page 20; 6Jul1921 to The Secretary, Department of Defence, Melbourne

“Subject: Invention by ex-L/Cpl W C Beech, 2nd Battalion, AIF, of Periscope attachment for use with Rifle.

…....I desire to inform you that the War Office have now offered an award of £100 to Mr. Beech in this connection.......”

Also of interest, see http://monumentaustr...t/display/20854

Believe I have posted this before, but for those who are interested in the Periscope Rifle variations, and may have missed it, here is one for the French Lebel Rifle. Fits only the lebel and I've neot been able to find much info on the maker or a period photo of it in use. Missing a couple straps, as you can see.

Best regards!

- Mike

post-23621-0-19363500-1339727253_thumb.j