Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Swords

Kevin O'Marah

Scalyback,

No known examples of Brethyn Llwyd uniform jackets/trousers survive today. I had that correspondence many years ago with the museums. The Welsh Army Corps papers at the National Library of Wales contain paperwork relating to manufacturing contracts, opinions of commanders etc. There are assorted "samples" in all shades of grey sent in by eager woollen mills wanting to bid; but strangely not the final approved sample which was sent out to the successful contractors! The nearest one gets to knowing what it looked like is a journalist's comment likening it to the grey of the Guards' overcoats.

It's difficult even to find photos of troops wearing it, though they surely must exist.

Kevin - I have had a look for my copy of the sword patent but can't find it in the junkshop which is my attic. RWF Museum and IWM should have it, unless you want to send to the Patent Office or wherever past designs are archived.

Clive

I've thought about buying one of these repros, are they any good?

Cheers

Gaz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I came across this topic whilst searching for info re the P14 rifle! I have one of the repro Welsh knives from IMA. It's well worth the money. I'm a member of the Great War Society and when I have my knife on on display it gets a lot of attention from the public.

In above entries Brethyn llwyd has been described as being grey in colour. However, my belief is that, despite its name meaning grey cloth, it was actually a brown colour. A description in the 1970's by an elderly lady from the South Wales town of Cowbridge states that it was "gingery".

Robin

• 7 years later...
12 hours ago, Paul Rhodes said:

Hello Kevin ,

I believe i have an original Welsh Trench Knife . Can we speak please .

Hi, 

kevin last visited the forum 12 months ago, if you click on his profile picture, above, you can send him a personal message.

Alternatively you could post some pictures here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I'm a lifelong Welsh First World War collector (40 years) and have studied and researched these knives as much as the existing and known literature allows. I have two knives direct from families and another three that I am satisfied as genuine. Be aware that 90% of what is out there is fake. I'm attaching photos of one of the examples I have with a scabbard (I've got two) and one in semi relic but robust condition. Over my time collecting these knives there are some traits that I have observed that are common to original examples (there looks to have been two batches made during the war). I don't want to share those on open forum but I'd happily give you an opinion if you want to PM. It would only be that of course, as no-one is infallible!

Best

Jon

Knife1.jpg

Knife2.jpg

Knife3.jpg

Knife4.jpg

Knife5.jpg

Knife6.jpg

Knife7.jpg

Hello all , sorry for my delay and ,  thank you for the historical conversations and information , plus speculations . I have purchased one recently , perfectly rusted but still very sharp , red rust , and not pitted . I believe it could be an original , and am going to visit the Imperial War Museum to investigate . Therefore had anyone you know who was the seller . I’m looking but have no answers yet . 

I am pretty certain there is one in the Royal Armouries, Leeds, if that is closer.

Not to mention a few at the RWF Museum's reserve holdings in Wrexham Museum, which might just be more accessible with prior notice (once it reopens, anyway). 

Clive

Thank you both , I will contact the locations and keep you in the loop if I have future information . 
Regards Paul 

Just double-checked on the Leeds collection - they illustrate one in their Arms and Armour of the First World War so I assume they do have one.

18 minutes ago, trajan said:

Just double-checked on the Leeds collection - they illustrate one in their Arms and Armour of the First World War so I assume they do have one.

I'm pretty certain that there was one there when I visited in March 2019.

Edit.

Yes there was.

Here it is:

IMG_20190302_130110303_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190302_130130694.jpg

IMG_20190302_130153458_HDR.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I was privileged to get into the stores there in 2018 in search of Peabody-Martini's for my article on these rifles and their bayonets, and I managed an hour or so with assorted German and Turkish bayonets also, but I do vaugely remember one of the Welsh swords on display upstairs.

Hello all , as an extra subject . I've just noticed i've been given a rank of Lance-Corporal , which may have been down to me 

on my registration .

I've not been a member of the armed forces , although my older brother was in the Royal Air Force for sometime .

My personal connection came in 2009/2010 , when as i was working with my daughter , leading the Entertainment Stage in

Regents Park , annual ' Children With Leukaemia Charity ' event . There , i was approached by a serving Sargent in the

Grenadier Guards, and asked if i could to help him sing within the Army .  I tried tried to create an army Combat Choir , with help 

and support of senior officers headed up by Brigadier Steve Hodder at Tidworth Barracks . Prior to Military Wives Choir . 

Hence why my personal Email is headlined ourboysshow created especially at the time , taking the title from the wonderful quote from

Dame Vera Lynne , when years before entertaining the troops during WW11 , as she called them 'OUR BOYS ' in Burma .

Its something i was proud to try and attempt . Which is another story .

Regards Paul . 

12 hours ago, Paul Rhodes said:

Hello all , as an extra subject . I've just noticed i've been given a rank of Lance-Corporal , which may have been down to me 

Hi Paul,

An honorary GWForum rank as you move up the number of posts!

Welsh swords not a particular interest of mine just one of those odd bits of WW1 equipment that captures the eye. Looking fowrad to hearing more on this one.

Trajan