Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

teach yourself WW1

Ali Hollington

Spotted this and an accompanying WW2 version today, has anyone had a chance to have a decent look (store detective was lurking, or I had made a friend).

Ali

I have these but not read them yet. I also picked up Nazi Germany accompanying the series.

Ryan

This is a rather odd title for a book, and one that would cause me to be suspect. Let me know how it goes though.... I am interested in the value. Andy

This is a rather odd title for a book, and one that would cause me to be suspect. Let me know how it goes though.... I am interested in the value. Andy

The 'Teach Yourself' series has been an established brand for years and they are a useful pick up for the 'salient points' to do with many a subject area.

For example I have used TYS Spanish and French before and there are many more in the range.

They are not meant for the land of academia but bitesized chunks of information in an easy to digest form. I am looking forward to these as a useful refresher course.

If you want to see more information http://www.teachyourself.co.uk

Ryan

TEACH YOURSELF

I met David Evans in Albert some fifteen years ago. He was then headmaster of a secondary school and had written some books on WW1 for secondary schools and higher education. He was then researching a couple of 'shot-at-dawns'.

The Teach Yourself series has an excellent History of England by William McElwee, very readable. AJP Taylor called McElwee a 'better historian than myself'.

I would like to hear the opinions of readers of David's book.

Cheers,

Fred

Ok... that makes sense. Sort of like the 'For Dummies' series.

If that is the case I think I would pick up a book like the First World War by Robin Prior & Trevor Wilson (John Keegan Editor) ISBN 0-304-35984-x. I find this book easy to read and reference. It has great maps and pictures. Of course it is just a general reference book, so it is not gripping.

Andy