Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd South Staffordshire Regiment

Doug Lewis

I'm re-reading Beatrix Brice' book "The Battle Book Of Ypres" (1987 Copy) looking for info on the South Staffs. On page 143/144 she refers to the 2nd Staffords being ordered to hold on to their position against repeated attacks (8th Nov 14) while on their left the French were being overun,in particular she refers to twenty men holding an island redoubt 300 yards west of Zonnebeke-Becelaere Road.

Following this paragraph there is a verse written by Lord Gorell entitled

"How The South Staffordshires Held the Trench"

My questions for the forum are, does anyone have any information about this action and if possible the names of the twenty men and who was Lord Gorell?

Doug

Lord Gorell was the 3rd Baron Gorell, Ronald Gorell Barnes CBE, OBE, MC. He was on the editorial staff of The Times, 1910-1915. Capt and Adjutant of 7th Bn Rifle Brigade 1916. Major, General Staff 1918. Deputy Director of Staff Duties (Education) at the War Office, 1918-1920. He was also an author and poet, with several publications to his name.

Terry Reeves

Doug

Lord Gorell was the 3rd Baron Gorell, Ronald Gorell Barnes CBE, OBE, MC. He was on the editorial staff of The Times, 1910-1915. Capt and Adjutant of 7th Bn Rifle Brigade 1916. Major, General Staff 1918. Deputy Director of Staff Duties (Education) at the War Office, 1918-1920. He was also an author and poet, with several publications to his name.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry for your information :)

Doug

Doug,

I have some stuff on the 2nd South Staffs at home and will look tonight.

Roy

Doug,

This taken from the History of the South Staffordshire Regiment;

November 8th was a critical day for the Battalion, for the Germans attacked the French on the South Stafford’s left, and broke through them in some force. Sections were held by desperate men, who had received orders to hold on, and in spite of continuous enemy attacks on the left of the Battalion, the South Staffords held their own. They were hard pressed, and a section of the Battalion who were holding an island redoubt in a spinney three hundred yards west of the Zonnebeke-Beceleare Road was practically wiped out. Sergeant King was wounded and captured by the enemy and Private Weaver escaped, all the rest were killed.”

Perhaps someone with a Soldiers Died CD can identify the names of those who died.

Hope this helps

Roy

Thanks very much for your information,it gives me a lot to go on with

Doug