Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Richard John Andrews DSO, MC

corisande

My cousin and I are most interested to read this thread and look forward to solving the mystery surrounding RJA's connection to our Great Aunt, Edie Ricketts. Does the Devonshire Regiment have any significance here?

Hi GingermogBC & welcome to the forum

Can I put the question to you the other way round, do you know if Edie Ricketts had any connection with him. In other words is there any family "story" that connects her to him?

Well that IS the big question isn't it? I grew up under the impression that Great Auntie Edie was engaged to a fellow who was killed in the Boer or possible Firth World War. She never married. Auntie Edie was a very much loved aunt. Just last week I was visiting my 91 year old mother and somehow we started talking about a silver round dish with a Devonshire Regiment insignia. Mum said she recalled Aunie Edie polishing it every Sunday. I sent pictures of the dish to my cousin Ruth and she did a bit of online research and came up with your thread. Karen and I shared a flurry of emails this past weekend. I just read the RJA obituary and noticed the reference to Devon! Ruth has ordered the will. What is your connection to RJA ?

Hello again, I have no connect with Andrews other than he served in Auxiliary Division of RIC.

1. Was she born in Berwick-Upon-Tweed in 1880, around June. Parents James & Louisa Ricketts. I was not sure of her background. I could not work out where Andrews met her.

2, Andrews was commissioned into Devonshire Regt in 12 Mar 1916. He moved on to Welsh Regt just over a year later. As far as I can see he had no particular Devon roots - anyone care to correct that?

Where did aunt Edie live, in London?

Feel free to PM me if you want more background on Andrews

1. This is not the correct person. Edith was born in London area to Walter and Emily Rickets. (Seeing the names of his first two wives were the same as Edie and her mother seems ironic. ) They lived in close proximity to RJA.

Thanks for that input, never have found Aunt Edie otherwise :-)

I have replied to your PM

• 5 years later...