Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reveille Press - any experiences?

John_Hartley

At the forum conference this weekend, I spotted mention of Reveille Press on the WFA stand and wondered if any pals have experience in using them.

Looking at their website, they seem to occupy a sort of "in between" position, between traditional publishers like Pen & Sword (who pay you) and the full self-publishing route. As far as I can see, Reveille offer the full design & print side of things and, also, market the book to retail outlets - but you pay them for the service, recouping your costs from royalty sales.

I'm working on another book and will punt it to Pen & Sword, with fingers crossed, but might not be surprised if they are not that keen on it. Reveille might be a good second option. What do you reckon?

TIA

John

John - I went through Tommies Guides using the Menin House imprint rather than the Reveille Press imprint. That was mainly because of the different royalty split. It worked for me as I wanted someone else to do the typsetting, cover design, indexing, and the very final proof read etc. (life's too short) but wanted the editorial control that P&S would probably not have given. Generally satisfied eith the experience, but I'd be happy to brief you in detail off forum.

Charles

Off topic I admit (and happy to have this moved if thought fit or deleted if thought outrageously nosy :unsure: ) but what sort of sales figures are people achieving through these various publishers?

My 'Foul Deeds' book (produced by an imprint of P&S) sold 500+ between Oct and Dec 2009. Slowed a lot after that though...

From memory Swansea Pals sold 800+ in the first year in hardback and several hundred more in PB since (2004 onwards).

They are LOCAL histories, after all. So limited market.

Bernard

Bernard - impressive numbers I would imagine. How much of a PR push did P&S put behind it beyond their own mailing list marketing (if I might ask)?

On 'Foul Deeds' my wife and I managed to 'sign up' about 120 work colleagues for pre-publication orders. I worked for Swansea Council which has about 11,000 employees - many of those placing orders I didn't know. (I publicised it on the internal web). So about 400 were bought in the shops or via Amazon etc.

I know that Waterstones Swansea had a 30 deep 'pile' of 'Foul Deeds' in the run up to Xmas 2009. I assume they replenished this peridically. Last week they had just 2 on the shelves (plus 2 Pals). Oddly, I noticed last week that WH Smith had 2 Foul Deeds and 2 Swansea Pals on display - not seen any in there for ages.

P&S do provide order leaflets (for you to dish out at libraries etc.) as well as large card backed 'posters' that you can prop up at local book fayres etc. Sold a few books that way (maybe 30 Foul Deeds over a couple of attendances). I understand that P&S have a local agent who pitches to the local stores. Pals and Foul Deeds did get 'piles' into the shops at limited times - but over time it gets less and less (understandable with all the books that come out, I suppose). Its on their website too etc.

I also arranged free local press coverage - 3 times for Pals! When the hardback came out, when the paperback came out and when an anniversary came round. Double page spreads (which I wrote in press interview style) plus some images. Don't know if it sold any but it all helps.

Bernard

• 8 years later...

Earlier this year i ordered direct from Reveille Press a number of books , it took longer than i would expect to be dispatched and when i contacted them

they replied quickly that it was due to a book being reprinted . In June i ordered another book but seven weeks later it still hasn't been sent and e-mails

to both Reveille Press and Tommies Guides go unanswered . I'm taking it up with paypal but just a warning to others who are thinking of ordering in the

near future .

P.S  I am getting a refund from PayPal , still no word from Reveille Press or Tommies Guides . I will obviously not be ordering from them again .

Edited by Black Maria