Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Top Gun

Moonraker

HI Ian,

If it's not mentioned then it is because they were mainly concerned with the development of new aircraft desings and techniques while the RE8 very much just took over from the BE2C in 1917.

Or it could be because the New Zealand boys don't have a functioning R.E.8. :whistle:

They do a very good website though - http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node

I think you may have healing powers! Thanks old chum - you will always be my bestest pal!

xxx

Careful now, you'll be putting Georgie's nose out

He likes to think that he's your bestest pal

Please break the news to him gently and do sign some of your messages to him with xx's or else he will be sooo upset

Grant

Then I must have dozed off. I blame the dark brown tones of Mr Hart. I recorded the programme and shall watch again.

Channel 5 on demand managed to crash out on me, but it was in the first 20 minutes, some aerial shots and 'in flight' shots of the crew. Fantastic to see a Harry Tate in the air

One thing I've picked up on is that neither Trevor nor Pete were paid: doubtless the interview process took up many hours of their time, so it seems somewhat inequitable, to say the least.

With the proliferation of digital/satellite channels this programme will be shown hundreds of times all over the world.

In the unlikely event I am ever to be called upon, I'll demand money up-front!

After my toys exiting the pram episode on Monday I was indeed paid as historical consultant and for the interview. I have no issues remaining with Bedlam Productions as when I saw it on Channel 5 on Demand the documentary was fine - the dumbed down bits were not the responsibility of David Arshadi the producer who is a really nice chap. 'Higher' authorities - possibly god - were to blame. There were a couple of lines where things were ripped out of context and once I had no clue what they were talking about! The film from New Zealand was awesome!

As for Grant's concerns over the feeling of my aqueus porter George then please be assured that our relationship is resolutely non-sexual - whereas with Grant we surely have 'all the time in the world'....

Camp Pete

Fickle Pete, we call him. All it takes is a little ray of sunshine like Grant to pop up and he discards his oldest chums along with the other toys from his pram! I saw this coming a mile off, though - it was clear that Grant totally outclassed me in having all the attributes Pete looks for in a BMF!

Agree that the footage of the NZ aircraft flying, and looking as they would have looked when brand new during the Great War, was what raised what turned out to be a reasonably competent documentary into an altogether higher sphere. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these machines in the flood of documentaries which the approaching centenaries will bring. I shudder to think what the cost of commissioning one of these splendid reconstructions must be, but if tonight's Euromillions comes up I'll be joining the ranks of those privileged few who can afford to place an order for one!

Jilted George

" Jilted George "

You'll get over it George, there's plenty more fish in the sea, and er...cough... birds in the sky This might help you take your mind off it?

Mike

It's being repeated tonight at 1900.

(For contrast, you can then stay up until 0230 and watch "Zeppelin" on ITV1, starring Michael York and Elke Sommer. Alternatively, don't lose any sleep and record it.)

Moonraker

George tells me that hs prefers Elke Sommer's performance as Professor Vrooshka in that seminal work of cinematic genius Carry on Behind. He says it spoke to something deep inside his murky Scottish soul....

Pete

It was not to bad a programme except for the odd so called expert piping up.

The - I hated it and then I loved it brigade :D.

Personally I hated being in the army and then after a month, they paid me, I loved it then :wacko:

George tells me that hs prefers Elke Sommer's performance as Professor Vrooshka in that seminal work of cinematic genius Carry on Behind. He says it spoke to something deep inside his murky Scottish soul....

Was that another Shot In The Dark? Actually I preferred her in I Miss You, Hugs and Kisses.

They interviewed me, ignored everything I said, didn't pay me at all and never let me see the finished script despite promises. I won't be watching and if you've any sense you won't bother either!

The worst form of exploitative crap....

Pete

I thought it was actually quite good. The New Zealand guys are to be congratulated on their excellent work. Hopefully Pete, you'll get your cheque in the post soon :thumbsup:

I know very little of the airwar and relative merits of the planes. To my untrained eye the Albatross looked head and shoulders ahead of any other plane, the British one with the lewis gun mounted on top of the wing seemed inferior (I'm sorry I don't know the name), despite the commentary saying it was more than a match. Then the pilots flying the NZ replicas tested them both and reported that when flying the Albatross they couldn't shake the other off and confirmed its superiority, an excellent demonstration and way of proving a point.

They interviewed me, ignored everything I said, didn't pay me at all and never let me see the finished script despite promises. I won't be watching and if you've any sense you won't bother either!

The worst form of exploitative crap...

So Peter by your logic- dismissing something before its come out- does that mean we dont have to watch next months FA Cup final as it is going to involve a Scouse team versus a cockney team ?

Actually the only really crap thing here was the gimmicky title, behind that was a decent doc with some good air to air footage of those NZ replicas.

After my toys exiting the pram episode on Monday I was indeed paid as historical consultant and for the interview. I have no issues remaining with Bedlam Productions as when I saw it on Channel 5 on Demand the documentary was fine - the dumbed down bits were not the responsibility of David Arshadi the producer who is a really nice chap. 'Higher' authorities - possibly god - were to blame. There were a couple of lines where things were ripped out of context and once I had no clue what they were talking about! The film from New Zealand was awesome!

Hi Nils Desperandum,

How I love it when someone tries to start a fight in an empty room! To try and help the mentally challenged I have loaded a diagrammatic explanation of the whole incident on http://www.peterhartmilitary.com/explaining-the-bleeding-obvious-for-the-not-too-bright/

I think it might help you understand what happened.

Helpful Pete

Hi Nils Desperandum,

How I love it when someone tries to start a fight in an empty room! To try and help the mentally challenged I have loaded a diagrammatic explanation of the whole incident on http://www.peterhart...not-too-bright/

I think it might help you understand what happened.

Helpful Pete

Greetings and salutations from the far frozen north. Far be it from me to criticise your chain of logic Young Master Pete but I fail to see the relevance of low cost parking in Valencia to the current discussion. Mr Desperandum deserves better even if he was a bit slow to jump in.

Greetings and salutations from the far frozen north. Far be it from me to criticise your chain of logic Young Master Pete but I fail to see the relevance of low cost parking in Valencia to the current discussion. Mr Desperandum deserves better even if he was a bit slow to jump in.

Don't you care about the good folks of Valencia? I certainly do! Tragically the hand-drawn series of detailed 3-D diagrams illustrating the events of the past six months viz a viz the Top Gun My A*** televisual entertainment in fantastic hour-by-hour and day-by-day graphic detail, drawn at great expense by the East Finchley Artist Awareness Club, seems to have vanished for the moment. Please keep clicking on the link and I'm sure something will turn up on 2 April!

Pete

I know very little of the airwar and relative merits of the planes. To my untrained eye the Albatross looked head and shoulders ahead of any other plane, the British one with the lewis gun mounted on top of the wing seemed inferior (I'm sorry I don't know the name), despite the commentary saying it was more than a match. Then the pilots flying the NZ replicas tested them both and reported that when flying the Albatross they couldn't shake the other off and confirmed its superiority, an excellent demonstration and way of proving a point.

The aircraft concerned was an SE5. It also had a mg mounted on top of the engine, firing through the prop.

I have never been sure just how the top-wing mounted Lewis was re-loaded. I think there was sme mechanism for the mg to be pulled down on rails, but to do so, wouldn't the pilot have to stand up? How on earth did he manage to clear a jam?

Bruce

P.S. The FA Cup final may well be Chelsea/Tottenham vs. Liverpool/Everton, but just how many cockneys might support the former? I sit on the Kop and enjoy those about me singing, whenever LFC play a London team, their undying love for all things related to cockneys. I inwardly point out that the distance from the relevant church bells to, say, Stamford Bridge or Loftus Road or Craven Cottage is about that from Anfield to Wigan. Would that make Wiganers scousers then?

Yes l fail to follow Petes logic when it started to refer to people counting and shopping websites.

l meant no harm when l spoke of scousers and cockneys.l spoke in broad generalisations much the same as when the well spoken Peter does when he gets into his stride hypocrite.gif. l went for the colourful term rather than the mundane " Mersey-Thames fixture ".

even in Wigan l can detect a bit of the Liverpool accent while the London/Estuary English is creeping up the M1 amongst the young so the labelling of supporters is always a lazy journalistic tool.Point is ,wait till it happens before you advise people its rubbish .(or even wait till you receive the cheque before you put people off.wink.gif )

ps who is this Mr Desperandum and how is he slow? l dont get it.............................

Carefully, Bruce.....

It certainly could be re-loaded, and spare drums were kept in the cockpit. ISTR one pilot nearly lost his life when trying to change a recalcitrant drum when the a/c looped and he was thrown out, hanging onto the drum for dear life: he was able to regain the cockpit when the a/c returned to a more even keel. Was this Louis Strange - or have I mis-remembered?

Also, the gun could be pulled-down on the mounting and so be fired directly into the underbelly of an a/c flying above - an early "Schrage-Musik".