Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS M1

oscarquebec

I believe that she did some trial firings when in the Med. The technique was to approach the shore target submerged but at periscope depth, surface so that he hull was still awash and only the turret and tower visible, fire a round and pop back down again out of sight until the next one.

I've often wondered at the claims that she was intended as a submersible commerce raider. The RN had zilch need of a commerce raider of any kind having surface superiority throughout its sphere of operations

Known as 'Dip-chick' firing - there's a bit more info here:-

http://www.rnsubs.co.uk/Boats/BoatDB2/index.php?id=2&BoatID=186&flag=class

It seems a technique of practically guaranteed ineffectiveness - the boat surfaces, shoots and then dives again with an empty weapon which it has to surface to reload.

If it hits, how to follow up and finish off the victim?

And if it misses, how could you risk surfacing again to reload?

Did the M-class have MAN diesels as battery chargers taken from surrendered U-Boats, as the K-class had?

Many of the components of these ended up as materials and test pieces in British Tech Colleges after the K-class were scrapped - I examined a stamped bearing cap label from one that a colleague had acquired in the 1950s once.

Regards,

MikB

Chris, the date of DD of Huckin by CWGC is correct.

The entry of Huckin in the list by Ron is incorrect, as he was not lost in the sinking of the boat..

Confirmed by his Record(s) in PRO/NA ;

ADM 188 / 666 which you have, and also ADM 104 / 111. Also by Record Card in RNSM.

HUCKIN REGINALD AUGUSTUS

AB P/J 9676 NE RN

SM M.1 02.06.21 Y 27 241193 C D F

DEVONPORT RNSM D.D. 2.6.21 Vide Telegram from C/O M.1.

JS 280220. HMS DOLPHIN. ADM 104 / 111. Record 5210. Page 151.

Devonport. Drowning.HMS DOLPHIN.

ADM 188 / 666. N.P2 1951 / 21.P.o.B ; Wimbledon, Surrey. Occ ; Garden Boy.

Drowning ?? `Buoy Jumper / fell off gangplank ??

Sadsac

Thanks for that Dennis

Chris

Hi

Has anyone a photo of CPO Roland Bicker please ,he died on M1 ( ever hopefull ).

Colin

• 5 years later...

Hi 

I have a photograph which I am trying to identify which could be some of the crew of The M1, as my grandfather died on the sub. Would it be possible to post it here with the hope that someone could identify the uniform, which is similar to the photo of the crew crossing the Galata Bridge in the Levatine heritage site.

Thanks

Kay

• 1 year later...

My grandfather John William Sales was one of the crew of the M1 he was due to leave when he was asked to return home as his mother was dying, he was devastated by the loss, at the memorial he was asked to throw the wreath into the sea I do have a tape from the BBC showing the news and recording. 

His mother dying saved his life.

14 hours ago, Vivien Pharoah said:

My grandfather John William Sales

Have you seen his Service Record?

Here is the relevant section:

image.png.aadf662fdbbaced5a009afd94b7b9cc9.png

On 07/04/2012 at 18:45, Wrecktec said:

there was no chance whatsoever of those trapped men surviving the ascent to the surface

In 'Discharged Dead' a WW2 stoker claimed to have survived a 500 foot ascent from a sunken submarine. At the time pooh poohed I think in the 1970s a RN cmdr as a escape exercise did succeed in reaching the surface in one piece from a submerged submarine operating  at that depth. In 'One of our submarines' Cmdr E Bryant makes the point a lot of the danger was in not being picked up on the surface even if friendly ships were near,

The Stoker who allegedly escaped the 500' ascent was John 'Chopper' Capes who may or may not have escaped from Perseus using a DSEA set.  As it was not introduced until 1930s, after the M1 loss it is ultra vires to this forum. All told DSEA was next to useless but it was the best we had.  The German Drager set appears to have been more successful.

Edited by Hyacinth1326
better ideas

• 6 months later...

Evening,

Ive been doing some family research and my great grandad James Fry Buttle was killed on this Sub. According to my family he wasnt due to go on the sub but was called up due to illness. I wonder now if this was as a replacement for able seaman sales. 

Any further details of him or a photo would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Guest
Added word