Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish losses

RHD

Yes, well, and Canadians, New Zealanders, Americans, Australians, South Africans...............................................................................ad infinitum!!

H.

Exactly Hazel! And in such large numbers too. I did do a bit of reading on the web last night before posting and came to the conclusion that nationality, can be a very confusing subject. Notwithstanding the officialdom of how nationality was/is decided. There is also a factor of perceived nationality. Whereby the individual might feel that they are of a certain nationality because their upbringing and family influences make them feel that their affinity and loyalty belongs to a particular nationality and this is at odds with what their official nationality is deemed to be. While reading about that, I was thinking about your chap Hector Delande serving with the Scots when he believed his French ties were stronger and wished to transfer.

I have also read on some threads of the forum that early in the war, when the Scottish regiments recruited outside of Scotland, they only accepted those who could prove a Scottish connection through grandparents &c. I have no idea how they would manage to prove that to a recruiter and I have never seen any evidence to support that recruiting practice.

I also reflected on my upbringing last night too probably because of what I was reading. It made me recall my father's side of the family being of the opinion I was more Scottish than they were, which didn't make much sense at the time and now seems utterly ridiculous how can you be more Scottish the further north you go?

All of it left me thinking that no matter what statistics come from one person, they can, and will be challenged by another using different research methods, criteria etc. I tend to look at the reliability of research but this is quite an emotive issue for some and has resulted in some pretty unnecessarily offensive posts from some folks. The bottom line is you either accept one set of stats or don't, not because they fit with your opinion but because they are reliable. In my case, I don't accept any of it. That's my perogative and I realise that too but I feel that it's; case not proven, on either side. Nor will it ever be.

I will be setting myself up for a few snipes by saying this...but the Scots are overtly an immensely proud and patriotic race and I can understand that if it were true (and proven mind you), Scottish losses were higher, that would be something of great importance for many. However, I don't believe it was a subject of animosity then (during the war) and it shouldn't be now. If they felt it was so important at the time, would they not have published statistics about it? We suffered those massive casualties together.

• 2 years later...

Hello There,

I am hoping that someone can help me with this problem;  I am trying to locate the grave of ALEXANDER FRASER, LOVAT SCOUT,  JOINED AT BEAULY MARCH 14TH 1917,  GNR, 2/2ND, 195574, 256 Siege BATTERY, SERVED IN FRANCE.

This information has been taken from The Moray Roll of Honour,  I am trying to establish where/how he died & whether or not he had been transferred to another unit ie, Cameron Highlanders, I have checked The CWGC site but regretfully I cant establish which cemetery Alexander is in due to age often not being reg along with  a different military no.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dee.

26 minutes ago, dee1 said:

Hello There,

I am hoping that someone can help me with this problem;  I am trying to locate the grave of ALEXANDER FRASER, LOVAT SCOUT,  JOINED AT BEAULY MARCH 14TH 1917,  GNR, 2/2ND, 195574, 256 Siege BATTERY, SERVED IN FRANCE.

This information has been taken from The Moray Roll of Honour,  I am trying to establish where/how he died & whether or not he had been transferred to another unit ie, Cameron Highlanders, I have checked The CWGC site but regretfully I cant establish which cemetery Alexander is in due to age often not being reg along with  a different military no.

Dee.

Hi Dee,

It's best to start a new thread to get the most amount of people see what you need assistance with.

Try in the "Soldiers" section.

Cheers,
Derek.

4 hours ago, dee1 said:

Hello There,

Dee.

I stand to be corrected but I think the Morayshire Roll of Honour is a record of those connected with the county who served in WW! and not just those who died.

So if he survived, then he's not going to be recorded by the CWGC.

The Morayshire Roll of Honour records his year of birth as 1899 and his mother's maiden name as McDonald. 

Scotlands People records an Alexander Fraser who died in Nairn in 1979 aged 81....with mother's maiden name 'MacDonald'.  A long shot but a possible candidate (?)