Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant C. Fischer - German Army

stiletto_33853

Hi All,

Probably a real long shot but hoping some of you German Army Buffs might be able to help here.

We had a German living locally who was called up as a Reservist and Commissioned Lieutenant in the German Army, He went into action in September 1914, and was killed by three bullet wounds on the 29th of the same month. His wife, a local girl, disappeared without trace in the Autumn of 1914. Here the trail locally seems to disappear not suprisingly.

If anyone has any information on this gentleman it would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Hello,

I may have more info but I would need to know a bit more: where was this man from and do you know where he was killed? There are many Prussian Lieutenants Fischer killed but none on 29 September 1914...

Regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for seeing if you can help. Details locally are sketchy on this gentleman.

He lived in Wickford for a number of years, was called up as a reservist and then commissioned.

The name fischer is common, at present i am looking for a marriage certificate, hopefully this will give me a few more details for you.

Andy

Andy,

a search on the website of the Volksbund deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge gave a possible id: Leutnant Karl Fischer, died near Deniecourt 30.09.1914 and now buried in the Kameradengrab on the cemetery of Vermandovillers.

Unfortunately, I cannot link this officer to any of the officers mentioned in the list of the fallen Prussian officers. Perhaps he was Bavarian or Württemberger or something?

Regards,

Jan

Hello Andy,

Leutnant der Reserve Karl Fischer was a member of 7. Bayerisches Feldartillerie Regiment. Place of death Deniecourt (September 30th 1914).

There is no specific information regarding the battery, so may be he was a member of the regimental staff. Also no information about his place of birth.

Nevertheless, I hope this helps.

Hinrich

Hello,

Leutnant der Reserve Karl Fischer is mentioned a few times in the regimental history of BFAR 7 according to the index. This seems to be your man.

Jan

Jan, Hinrich,

Absolutely marvelous stuff, thank you very much indeed. Jan, you say he was mentioned a few times in the Regimental history of BFAR 7, if you have this to hand could I trouble you to see if the mentions are significant.

Once again guys many many thanks, still looking for the marriage certificate here so maybe we can tie the loose ends up.

Andy

Guest Chip Minx

Jan and Hinrich,

Would you mind telling me what references you are using to identify this officer? I have a copy of the Ehren Rangliste 1914-1918, but it only lists regular army officers. Reserve officers are not included and I was wondering if you know of any reference that would cover them? I went to the Volksbund deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge site. Do you have to register to get any information? I put in a search for an officer, whose dogtag I have and I was directed to a registration page.

Also, AOK4, I was impressed that you happened to have a copy of the regimental history of the unit in question. Was this a fluke or do you collect these histories? I have a couple from some units that I am interest in, but I was wondering if there is a repository of such histories that can be accessed for research.

Best regards,

Chip

Hello Chip,

I am often been sent to the registration page. and after providing my details it takes me to the search page. The problem is that the German records are incomplete, lack regimental details and other vital statistics. They have these on cards it seems and a letter sent to them will provide a response withadditional information. I have received requests for contributions for the work currently being done on recovering many of the lost graves. I have sent what I can over the years.

I would also like to know what resource books are out there that list reserve officers, etc. In regard to regimental histories I have about 145 currently, I know Jan has many more and I have access to over 350 additional histories as needed. I also have a large number of the German Verlustlisten and I expect to have more soon. These list the casualties by regiment and were published nearly every day. They include men listed as wounded, missing as well as killed and often have details on prisoners of war and the effects found on men who were not able to be identified.

I have a reasonably good collection of period postcards, many that show good uniform and shoulder strap details so if you ever have any particular units you would like to see photos of just let me know and I will see what I have.

Ralph

Guest Chip Minx

Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. My two histories are for the Jäger Regt. 3 and Sturmbataillon Nr.I (including the bayer. Infantrie Geschütz Batterie Nr.2). I am amazed at the number that you and Jan have amassed. Years ago, the editor of Der Angriff had a large collection as well. I don't know where that collection ended up. I should have bought more unit histories back in those days when you could get them for $20.00 or less. Too late now.

Where are the Verlustlisten gotten from? I would think there would have to be many volumes.

Regarding your photos, thanks for the offer. I am always looking for clear shots of cyphered or other unusual shoulder straps. I still hold the notion that in the not too distant future I will be doing a book on WWI German insignia. If you have anything you think might fit in. Just send me a jpeg and I will keep it on file for future reference.

Thanks for you interest,

Chip

Chip, I agree about buying more when prices were low. still, I try to find bargains when I can and I am looking for specific regiments for my particular interest in the Somme.

I have gotten most of my Verlustlisten through the Library of Congress. The New York OPublic Library, 42nd Street branch has a set as well and there is a German library that has the balance of the collection. The U.S. collections ended when we declared war. There are quite a few reels of microfilm, the numbers listed are staggering.

I will look through my postcards to see what I have with good shots of shoulder straps or unusual types and send them over. Thanks for the help on the tinnies.

Ralph

• 11 years later...

Jan, Hinrich,

Absolutely marvelous stuff, thank you very much indeed. Jan, you say he was mentioned a few times in the Regimental history of BFAR 7, if you have this to hand could I trouble you to see if the mentions are significant.

Once again guys many many thanks, still looking for the marriage certificate here so maybe we can tie the loose ends up.

Andy

Hi there,

I know it's been several years since this has been posted, but I'm archiving Southend's roll of honour at Southend Museum and was wondering if you had any success with gathering information regarting Karl Fischer?

Any personal/military intel would be smashing.

Many thanks

Hello,

I checked the regimental history.

Karl Fischer was commander of the leichte Munitionskolonne II/BFAR 7 and was killed when his unit was standing on the eastern edge of the chateau grounds of Déniécourt on 30 September 1914. Some enemy shells landed between the unitand one shell hit a limber. Karl Fischer was blown to bits by the explosion. Several other artillerymen were killed and wounded as well.

I checked his Kriegrangliste and it seems he was from Munich (born 8 October 1885) and was living in Munich... He is mentionned to be unmarried.

I don't know whether this is your man.

Jan

Did this man show up on any of the available UK census records before WW1? If os might give name of wife & some details to help such as birth place etc.. If wife was a local girl & her maiden name is known she might have family still in the area who may know more about what happened to her & him. Interesting case.