Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

112 Brigade, RFA

HowieJ

Hi experts; well more expert than me

I've trawled through the lists in this topic but didn't notice anything for 112 Brigade, RFA. I can't immediately find anything on TNA documents on line either.

I have the excellent 25th Division in France and Flanders book but am now looking for more detail: my grandfather served with C/112 Bde throughout the war.

So, can anyone point me in the right direction for the war diary of 112 Brigade RFA?

In addition, would C Battery have had their own diary, or would that be part of the Brigade diary?

The NA is slowly working through the war diaries to put them online, but at the moment this one is only available at Kew.

WO 95/2234

Phil

Phil

Many thanks.

Howard

You might want to check The Unreturning Army: A Field Gunner in France and Flanders 1917-1919 by Huntly Gordson. He served as an officer in various batteries of 112th Brigade, RFA from July 1917 to March 1918 and gives much detail on the brigade's activities during that time in a diary format.

Regards, Dick Flory

You might want to check The Unreturning Army: A Field Gunner in France and Flanders 1917-1919 by Huntly Gordson. He served as an officer in various batteries of 112th Brigade, RFA from July 1917 to March 1918 and gives much detail on the brigade's activities during that time in a diary format.

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks for the lead, I just need to find a copy now as it appears to be out of print.

Howard

Howard

I have a well thumbed copy, you are more than welcome to have a lend if you promise to return after use.

Bob

Howard

I have a well thumbed copy, you are more than welcome to have a lend if you promise to return after use.

Bob

Bob,

That's very kind.

I'm presuming that you mean The Returning Army: A Field Gunner in France and Flanders 1917-1919 and not the war diary.

This seems to be quite hard to get hold of., I would be ever so grateful and promise to return it.

Would you be prepared to put it in the post?

If so, can you PM me and I'll give you my address. Otherwise I'll have to arrange a trip down from Rugby.

Regards,

Howard

• 2 years later...

I now have the 112 Bgde RFA war diaries, downloaded from TNA this weekend, and have a few queries.

1. The war diary states that in Sep 1915 they were in the Le Bizet sector and that they were in defence of trenches 90 to 101. On all the trench maps I've looked at I've never seen trench numbers; can anyone help me with these?

2. Each day it summarises the number of rounds fired, these are shown as "465/A 10/AX". Can anyone tell me what these mean?

Any help gratefully received.

• 3 months later...

I also had a granda in c/112 bde. Do you have any other photos? I have a couple if you are interested.

Can you tell me what ththis TNA you speak of is and how you got war diaries from it?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I have an MM to Frederick George Blackwell who served in C/112.

I will also have to download the diary to see if he gets a mention.

Found his citation today by pure chance from 'The 25th Division in France and Flanders' By Lt Col M. Kincaid-Smith