Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adrian Helmet in Trench Warfare.

Guest redrum

I dont seem to have ever seen a French helmet painted in camoflage colours.I have seen one with a sacking cover but not painted. I assume the French didnt feel the need to do so unlike the Germans or other Allies? Anyone seen one?

The closest to camoflague I've seen is that flat bluish gray color that replaced the brighter horizon blue. But no I've never seen patterns etc. on an Adrian helmet.

Take care,

Neil

hi,

i have seen a few. But i don't know if they were WW1 or redone in WW2. it were ww1 helmets and correct liners.

i have seen a few. But i don't know if they were WW1 or redone in WW2. it were ww1 helmets and correct liners.

I suspect they were fakes or WW2; or WW2 fakes. French camo helmets are very rare indeed; such camo was rarely needed in WW1 and in years of collecting French gear I have never seen one I was 100% happy with. They seemed to have used the khaki helmet cover instead.

Guest Chip Minx

redrum,

I have never seen a French Adrian with camo paint. The closest that I have come to a camo version was, like Paul said, one with a khaki cover, which I picked up in Germany many years ago. It had been souvenired by a German soldier, who had written "Somme" on it in purple pencil.

Chip

Not "true" camouflage (as in the German helmet sense), but I've occasionally come across WW1 French Adrien helmets that have had "splodges" or strokes of darker coloured (usually green or brown) paint on them. These seem to be field done, rather than following any particular pattern.

Dave.

Not "true" camouflage (as in the German helmet sense), but I've occasionally come across WW1 French Adrien helmets that have had "splodges" or strokes of darker coloured (usually green or brown) paint on them. These seem to be field done, rather than following any particular pattern.

As always with militaria, if a buyer is happy with something, then fine - but personally I would be very wary of anything like this. There is little precidence for it in contemporary photos, but I stand - and welcome - to be corrected on that point.