Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photograph of mixed cavalry regiments

H.Douglas

Razed or raised? :whistle:

Razed Martin....mea culpa.

• 4 weeks later...

[ 'Yes there a few 19th H pics about at the moment.In case you missed it, attached is a pic of the 19th H boxing team.Top left is Sjt Copeland who was sadly killed in October 1918']

Nice one Ian..Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Edited by NellieD

[Great thread and fantastic photo's. Visited Netheravon only once when the Army Air Corps had a flight there to deliver some kit. That was early nineties so most of the huts were still standing and Time Team did an episode when most of the camp had been flattened as its built on Roman Remains. A bit off topic but heh ho.Dazz]

Glad you enjoyed the read ! I think any info relating to this thread(original or tangent topics !! ,is of interest) Thanks to all who chip in.

• 11 months later...

Just as a foot note... to anyone who has found themselves on this page after typing 19th Hussars in the search bar. The following link will allow you to download(a bargain at £3.36) the 19th war diary from the reforming of the regiment (April 1915) and their time within the 9th cavalry brigade. It makes for fascinating reading.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7351445

Went back there last year. The house has now been turned back into two private dwellings. The original house forming one and the later extension another. Felt strangely sad to see it, which is silly really given that it has been returned to what was its original purpose.

Hi Nellie, our local church here in Cornwall has three magnificent windows dedicated by the family in Torquill Bolitho,s memory. They are local land owners with a long military history.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi seamonkey... I don't know if you missed post #54... you may also find the link to the war diaries (post #107) interesting,as he is mentioned at the time he was KIA.

• 3 months later...

Yes Michael, it is indeed the same OM Croshaw..I am still trying to find out where in Ayrshire retired to...He married late in 1911 so misses the census for that year...I feel sure he would have gone to Ayrshire after that. I have more than few loose ends that relate to Ayrshire and Ireland.... I know for sure my grandmother stayed in Monkton Ayrshire for a short period of time in 1914 as grandad sent her a postcard from France,not sure why she was there though.... as she would have been pregnant with their second child.She returned to Ireland for birth of this child.My uncle once said grandad also went to Scotland before the war?? and one of my aunties is sure that grandad was OM Croshaws servant/batman when he was with the 19th...all theory just now..I like to confirm theories !!

Helen

I got help from a Ayrshire history group and now know where 'Neuck' was( the address on the postcard sent to grandma from France)..and indeed,who was resident.It is now the Manor Park Hotel, Monkton,Prestwick

post-88523-0-55377500-1406035866_thumb.j

post-88523-0-28644100-1406035935_thumb.j

Edited by NellieD