Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photograph of mixed cavalry regiments

H.Douglas

I think the Hussar seated on the front row, extreme left is a 15th Hussar as this is the only Hussar regiment with a dark coloured busby plume (Scarlet) with no white, and also has a dark coloured busby bag (scarlet)...by eliminating all the units with white or yellow in the plume it can only be the 4th Hussars or the 15th Hussars and the 4th Hussars had a yellow busby bag which would be visible.

I think the Hussar seated on the front row, extreme left is a 15th Hussar as this is the only Hussar regiment with a dark coloured busby plume (Scarlet) with no white, and also has a dark coloured busby bag (scarlet)...by eliminating all the units with white or yellow in the plume it can only be the 4th Hussars or the 15th Hussars and the 4th Hussars had a yellow busby bag which would be visible.

Having gone off at many tangents since my original post (as you do when researching!) I have returned to completing the IDs of the regiments.Thanks for this extra info.much appreciated :)

I am presently going through all the posts (as time permits) and bringing all my data up to date and in some form of logical state.This may take some time ! Any new information is always a tremendous help.

Many thanks (again) to all who have contributed with your knowledge and insight.

Helen

A couple of views of the Cavalry School at Netheravon for you

post-87631-0-12290600-1342553537_thumb.j

post-87631-0-37296700-1342553598_thumb.j

Justin H

And another

post-87631-0-57770400-1342553736_thumb.j

Justin H

I was there for 9 years and all those scenes are as familiar to me as the back of my hand. Many of those corrugated stable huts were converted to class rooms in the 1930s and continued in that role until the school closed in the mid 1990s. Talk about deja vous!

The B&W photo shows the onetime Duke of Beaufort's hunting lodge that was utilised as the officers' mess, from which David Niven lowered himself from a room window whilst under mess arrest between the wars (see "the moon's a balloon") and took a train to London where he promptly resigned his (first) commission from the HLI. Until it closed, the mess housed the best collection (100% complete) of Officers Service Dress (bronze) badges that I have ever seen. They are now in the Warminster Mess.

Sadly the building has been gutted, modernised and turned into two 'executive homes'. I wonder if it is still haunted. The cellars contained the temporary mortuary for Canadian officers who died whilst recovering from wounds there in 1917-18, with many expiring from 'Spanish flu' whilst in their weakened state.

I was there for 9 years and all those scenes are as familiar to me as the back of my hand. Many of those corrugated stable huts were converted to class rooms in the 1930s and continued in that role until the school closed in the mid 1990s. Talk about deja vous!

Sadly the building has been gutted, modernised and turned into two 'executive homes'. I wonder if it is still haunted. The cellars contained the temporary mortuary for Canadian officers who died whilst recovering from wounds there in 1916-17.

I don't believe in ghosts..but the thought of a haunting appeals to me :) I doubt I'll ever get down there to see it....I'm still trying to fix a trip to Newcastle! Still- never say never!...

Great to have the photo images though.

I don't believe in ghosts..but the thought of a haunting appeals to me :) I doubt I'll ever get down there to see it....I'm still trying to fix a trip to Newcastle! Still- never say never!...

Great to have the photo images though.

The huts are all gone now, but the house is still standing, albeit in private grounds. It really was reported to be haunted with several mess servants taking a fright in the early hours when on duty. As mentioned previously the riding school is still there as it is listed, but sadly falling into disrepair.

It really was reported to be haunted with several mess servants taking a fright in the early hours when on duty.

The mess was considered haunted by the village and the civilian staff at SWW (my dad was MT). My Auntie worked in the bar there and reported that things were often mysteriously"moved" and none of the staff liked being there late at night. There was talk of sightings of a "lady" I think at the back of the house.

When the house was divided and sold, it was reported that the new owners of one part- since moved on- experienced something. The Vicar may have been involved. Haven't heard of anything since though

At the risk of drifting even further off topic- maybe we need a thread concerning haunted Netheravon (!)- There is a cottage nearby the mess which was refurbed in the 80's, works which occasioned all sorts of talk in the village, reportedly from the workmen. They told of meeting an apparition of a WW1 soldier on the stairs as well as having the radiators torn off the walls and tools strewn over the floor. True or not, they abandoned the job. One reportedly built himself a makeshift crucifix! A new team of tradesmen took over the job and reported nothing unusual.

Justin H

The mess was considered haunted by the village and the civilian staff at SWW (my dad was MT). My Auntie worked in the bar there and reported that things were often mysteriously"moved" and none of the staff liked being there late at night. There was talk of sightings of a "lady" I think at the back of the house.

When the house was divided and sold, it was reported that the new owners of one part- since moved on- experienced something. The Vicar may have been involved. Haven't heard of anything since though

At the risk of drifting even further off topic- maybe we need a thread concerning haunted Netheravon (!)- There is a cottage nearby the mess which was refurbed in the 80's, works which occasioned all sorts of talk in the village, reportedly from the workmen. They told of meeting an apparition of a WW1 soldier on the stairs as well as having the radiators torn off the walls and tools strewn over the floor. True or not, they abandoned the job. One reportedly built himself a makeshift crucifix! A new team of tradesmen took over the job and reported nothing unusual.

Justin H

The 'cottage' you describe was almost certainly the Stable Block, which as well as having a carriage house and two wings of stables in the shape of an inverted U, had a row of accommodation for the single grooms to live in. This was re-developed separately and turned into three or four bungalow type homes. What you say does not surprise me at all, as it was all occupied as part of the mess between 14 and 18.

• 2 months later...

.....been away awhile!!

''At the risk of drifting even further off topic- maybe we need a thread concerning haunted Netheravon ''

....nothing wrong in keeping it in this topic,Justin. Cavalry,cavalry school,stories,haunted or otherwise ..its all good and adds an extra dimension to the topic.. :thumbsup:

Referring to the original photograph, the second man from the left (facing) standing in the back row is 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys). The large white plume set in its plume socket can clearly be seen on his bearskin that he is holding on the right arm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Splendid. Shame they forgot the horses!

Haha Steven...I don't think the clergy at the All Saints Royal Garrison Church would have taken kindly to them all riding to the door!

Aldershot Sunday...... ''The camp is all astir at an early hour. Musters of men here and there on the regimental parade grounds, the stately march to church, the regimental band at the head. The short, bright, cheery service. The rattle and clatter of side-arms as the men stand or sit. The rapid exit after the Benediction has been pronounced and the National Anthem sung. The ringing word of command,''Fall in'' and the march back to barracks, amid the admiring gaze of the civilians.''

.....funny you should say that Ian because one of them looks alot like mine!! But..we'll never know for sure.Nice to see some of the 19th in a group though.(all right foot forward!)

Yes there a few 19th H pics about at the moment.

In case you missed it, attached is a pic of the 19th H boxing team.

Top left is Sjt Copeland who was sadly killed in October 1918

post-70-0-92032100-1358611499_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know it is moot as so many barracks look similar, but I believe the one in this photo could be Weedon in Northamptonshire. Indeed, these blocks are still standing.

I know it is moot as so many barracks look similar, but I believe the one in this photo could be Weedon in Northamptonshire. Indeed, these blocks are still standing.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread and fantastic photo's. Visited Netheravon only once when the Army Air Corps had a flight there to deliver some kit. That was early nineties so most of the huts were still standing and Time Team did an episode when most of the camp had been flattened as its built on Roman Remains. A bit off topic but heh ho.

Dazz

Hi Nellie - You mentioned Major Crowshaw in your original post....... His name has crossed swords which means he had seen active service overseas (most probably in South Africa in the Boer War)

Regards MG.

Boer War: Lieutenant Oswald Mosley CROSHAW (Harrow School) 19th (Princess Of Wales's Own) Hussars. The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Defence of Ladysmith.

Great thread and fantastic photo's. Visited Netheravon only once when the Army Air Corps had a flight there to deliver some kit. That was early nineties so most of the huts were still standing and Time Team did an episode when most of the camp had been flattened as its built on Roman Remains. A bit off topic but heh ho.

Dazz

The old cavalry school was in the lower camp, which had been razed to the ground by the late 90s. The Time Team programme was on the site of the old (corrugated iron, like most of the buildings) sergeants' mess.

Airfield camp (where the AAC flight was based) was built later, around 1912.