Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA and POWs in Malta

oscarquebec

What a great forum, so much valuable information available.

Following posts by quilltowin, fflury, xv229, AndyMacdonald and others regarding the RGA in Malta, POWs and SMS Emden I decided to research my wife's grandfather Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA.

He originally joined 3rd Dorset Regt SR on 5. January 1909 aged 17 years 1 month, his regimental number 5609. Eight months later he joined the Royal Garrison Artillery at Finsbury Barracks London. He served 9 years 252 days with the colours and 2 years 113 days with the reserve army.

On 5 August 1914 he was posted to Malta with the Malta Expeditionary Force and we have in our possession some interesting items including his Militiaman's Small Book and Soldiers Small Book, neither appear complete beyond August 1914.

I am happy to send full copies of any of these items on request.

Our collection also includes.

A group photograph of Sergeants including Albert Yerrell rear row third from left. Any ideas as to the sailor?

Any more information on these items or the RGA would be greatly appreciated.

post-86894-0-49789400-1336064483.jpg

Three servicemen manning a machine gun, two are named on the back of the photo as Sergeants Wells and Powell RM, the third could be Albert.

post-86894-0-09383800-1331843358.jpg

Pass issued to him to enter Verdula prisoner of war campon RGA business. Interestingly this pass is printed on a strong material rather than paper. Also Tally band from SMS Emden, I think prisoners from the ship were at least temporarily kept in Malta.

post-86894-0-52629200-1331843497.jpg

post-86894-0-69228300-1331843612.jpg

A letter written to the Times on 15 December 1915 by Anastasious Marudas (not sure of the spelling) claiming to be a Greek citizen and Commercial Representative of the government of St. Domingo, Central America (perhaps some sort of diplomat). He apparently was arrested by the British in Salonica and transported to Malta on board HMS Albion where he was treated as an officer and allowed the freedom of the ship. He goes on to commend the British at St Clements camp for their excellent treatment of German prisoners. He ends the letter by condemning Germany for the treatment of 'Miss Cavell'. He apparently makes two copies of the letter sending one to the Times, the other ending up in the hands of Sargeant Yerrell.

post-86894-0-16622600-1331844071.jpg

Last but not least acopy of The Balkan News dated Tuesday 7 may 1918 headlining 'Premiers Cheerful Message from the Front'. Lloyd George is quoted as saying "The Germans have rendered two great services to the Allied cause. They have accelerated the event of the American troops and they have made the question of a single Allied Command at last a reality. The French and British are fighting in close comradeship, each with a full appreciation of the qualities of the other. The message I bring from the British Army to the people at home is to be of good cheer; we are alright".

post-86894-0-33911900-1331844184.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

In August 1914, there were 8 Companies of RGA in Malta and I believe they remained in place throughout the war. The image of the very interesting PoW Camp Pass shows your wife's grandfather as a member of 99 Coy RGA, presumably one of the resident units.

The Pass is signed by Lieut.W.R.Gatt, a well-known figure in Malta during and after WW1. Lt William Raphael Gatt was in the Royal Malta Artillery and by mid-September 1915 was en-route to Egypt for service in Gallipoli. Subsequently, he became Adjutant and then Commandant of the Malta PoW Camps.

The former Verdala Barracks were converted into one of the PoW Camps on Malta and were generally used to house officers and higher-ranking officials and internees. A typical view of a part of the barracks in 1916 is attached.

post-30696-0-17730700-1338978480_thumb.j

I have updated the thread on German POWs from SMS Emden (in the POW sub-forum). The 150 prisoners from SMS Emden arrived in Malta on 6th December 1914 and remained there as POW's until late-1919. Ten officers were held at Verdala Camp, with the 140 other ranks at Fort Salvatore.

I hope this is useful, Alan

Thanks Alan that’s very helpful, particularly details regarding Lt. Gatt. Sergeant Yerrell was transferred to the reserves in March 1919 so it seems likely he was in Malta throughout the war.

Mal