Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Have I been duped?

DCLI

I know there are a lot of experts on this forum who can spot a fake a mile off - sadly I am not one of them.

A recent purchase, 1914 Star, Clasp trio and cap badge.

I have my doubts about the cap badge - looks like it has been sprayed at the back to look older - ie missed a bit.

Also the Bar on the Star looks a bit iffy - any help would be gratefully received.

See pics

Regards

Anthony

post-23-1091711544.jpg

Back of badge

post-23-1091711785.jpg

Star Bar

post-23-1091711840.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The RASC badge is George VI ie most probably WW2 vintage. It is difficult to stay whether it is a re-strike or not. The RASC came into being in 1919 so having a R ASC badge with this trio is not inconsistant, but it is the wrong monarch!

However the slider looks too good for it to have been an issued badge IMHO.

WRT the clasp - unless someone here is a midas, take it to a reputable dealer for an opinion.

Sorry - Ian

Thanks for the badge info - I just didn't look closely and I have to be honest my knowledge of monarchs is a load of old monarchs.

Regards

Anthony

Genuine Clasps tend to be thinner & of better definition than the Copies/Replacements,They "Feel" right,which sadly cannot be communicated via a JPG;often they have a ridge around the edge of the "Frame" of the clasp which the genuine examples dont have;The best way ,if @ all possible is to carry it with you next time you visit a Medal/Collectors Fair & hope someone has a couple to compare it with,fortunately the entitlement is checkable in most cases & although obviously a genuine clasp is preferable ,a "Replacement" is usually considered acceptable on an entitled medal,as the originals were often lost due to the attachment method & replacements have been around for many decades

If they are re~striking RASC GVIR Cap Badges the bottom of the Barrel has been reached!!!~there must have been 100000s of the Bl***y Things ;)

when you say "Sprayed" do you mean with a Varnish/Laquer,sadly collectors used to do this after cleaning to prevent tarnish but when these varnishes age they tend to "yellow"