Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian 63d Infantry Division

waldo

I have the 63d Infantry Division mobilizing into the 7th Army in Odessa in the Aug Sept 1914 time frame. It then turns up in Warsaw in time for the Warsaw-Ivangorod Operation in early Oct. Does anyone know when it transferred from Odessa & arrived in Warsaw?

waldo

I have the 63d Infantry Division mobilizing into the 7th Army in Odessa in the Aug Sept 1914 time frame. It then turns up in Warsaw in time for the Warsaw-Ivangorod Operation in early Oct. Does anyone know when it transferred from Odessa & arrived in Warsaw?

waldo

If you are talking about October 1914, if the division was at Odessa in September 1914 and turned up in Warsaw in early October, given the state of the Russian railroads and the demands on the system at the beginning of the war, you only have a time span of a few weeks, and it is a wonder that it even made it. Not much of a time span to wonder about, it would seem.

Bob Lembke

If you are talking about October 1914, if the division was at Odessa in September 1914 and turned up in Warsaw in early October, given the state of the Russian railroads and the demands on the system at the beginning of the war, you only have a time span of a few weeks, and it is a wonder that it even made it. Not much of a time span to wonder about, it would seem.

Bob Lembke

OT:

Bob, the Director of the Deutsches Feurwehrmuseum Fulda, Mr. Rolf Schamberger, wants to talk to you about your father. He wrote a long bio of Bernhard Reddemann that includes information you've posted here, and he credits you. The museum wants to write a history of the G-R-P-R, so they'd love to talk to you. Mr. Schamberger speaks almost perfect English. Contact him using the e-mail address at their Web site: http://www.dfm-fulda.de/

Sorry to go off topic, but your mailbox is full. This is the only way to get your attention.

Drop him a line. He's a very nice man.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

I'm studying the Warsaw-Ivangorod Operation and would like to learn whether the dispatch of the 63d was intended to reinforce the Warsaw front or was directed elsewhere & rerouted in response to the German attack.

I don't know much about the state of Russian RRs but I have read repeatedly that during the opening months of the war, the RRs were able time and again to deliver or reroute corps to arrive in the nick of time at crucial sectors.

waldo