Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Burning Mill at Messines' Pipe Music

Mark Hone

I have been trying to find the pipe music for this wonderful tune so that our superb young piper can play it on our next battlefields tour. It has now been forwarded to me but the computer file has the extension .pio. I cannot find any way of opening this file-none of my programs recognise it. Does anyone know how I can access it?

Sorry, no - but there's a link here http://www.nomasters.co.uk/ - don't click the title words, but the little audio doodah to the left of them.

I have been trying to find the pipe music for this wonderful tune so that our superb young piper can play it on our next battlefields tour. It has now been forwarded to me but the computer file has the extension .pio. I cannot find any way of opening this file-none of my programs recognise it. Does anyone know how I can access it?

Hello Mark

Search for .pio file extension in Google reveals a limited number of programmes use it . "Pro Tools" is quoted. Amazon is selling various versions of the software. A free trial is available here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/pro-tools

I cannot think why the creator of the music would want to use such an obscure file format. My reaction to receiving it in such an unusual format would be that they want to limit it's use.

What has the sender of the file said. Presumably they have succeeded in playing it?

Kevin

Mark

I tried to send a PM but message says you are not taking any.

I have made a WAV file of the recording. Let me have your e-mail address so that I can let you have a link to upload the file. It is about 38mb in size. Alternatively I can convert it to mp3 and send it as an attachment to an e-mail but it would still be about 3mb which is quite sizeable for an attachment.

I will do it tomorrow if you still want the recording

For security I suggest that you send e-mail by PM rather than put it on display here.

Kevin McGee

Thanks everyone. I received the file via someone else (who also couldn't print it out!), so don't know the circumstances of its creation. I do have a CD recording of the tune but we need the actual sheet music so that my piper can practise. I'm sorry that it's impossible to PM me. No matter how many previous messages I delete, my PM box still comes up as 'full' for some reason. I can be reached by the e-mail facility. I shall follow up the various suggestions.

Thanks everyone. I received the file via someone else (who also couldn't print it out!), so don't know the circumstances of its creation. I do have a CD recording of the tune but we need the actual sheet music so that my piper can practise. I'm sorry that it's impossible to PM me. No matter how many previous messages I delete, my PM box still comes up as 'full' for some reason. I can be reached by the e-mail facility. I shall follow up the various suggestions.

Mark

Hadn't realised from the first post that it was sheet music rather than a recording.

One way of opening is to use Piobmaster.

A trial is here:

http://www.ceolmor-s.../downloads.html

If you consider using the software regularly, this page suggests it is a good purchase:

http://www.ceolmor-s...piobmaster.html

The trial doesn't allow saving but a number of screen shot copy/paste would enable a hard print to be made by then using something like Powerpoint to reconstruct the various screen shots.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin , for your further assistance. I downloaded the software. No joy. The Piobmaster software didn't recognise the file format-it seemed to be looking for a .pmb extension not .pio. However, I eventually realised that I'd downloaded the wrong version so tried again-bingo! As you suggested I had to do a screenshot and paste it onto a Word document but, after a couple of hours of effort, we now have the score. Phew!