Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16/Manchester Regiment

CROONAERT

Can anyone tell me (with a quote from the war diary if at all possible) exactly where the 16th were and exactly what they were doing between the dates of 15th to the 17th of June 1917? (especially on the 16th).

I know that they were in and out of the frontline around Hooge (info from the "Manchester Pals" book) from the 14th June, but,if possible, I'd like more detail.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

I'm afraid nothing helpful from the 17th's diary to give a clue. 17th had been relieved by 18th Manchesters and 1st Worcester on the night of 14/15 June. They moved back to Chateau Segard. The mention of two relieving battalions might suggest that the 16th was also relieved.

John

Thanks John.

Any idea of anyone who holds a copy of the 16th's War Diary (locally)? I don't think the Manc.Regt.'s museum do (do they?).

Dave.

Dave

Neither the museum nor the archive at Stalybridge Local History Library holds any war diaries. But the Library does hold a copy of the book "16th, 17th, 18th, 19th battalions.....". Suggest you give them a ring and see if they will look-up.

Might give enough info, particulalry if there was something of note.

If there's a problem, drop me an email off-Forum. I work not too far away and will return your recent favour and do a bit of digging round.

John

Cheers John.

I'll phone the library this week, and see what's what.

Thanks,

Dave.