Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

37 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

Which Newport was this, please?

I'm thinking Geraint is an uncommon name on the Isle of Wight B)

On 02/02/2017 at 13:20, Steven Broomfield said:

I'm thinking Geraint is an uncommon name on the Isle of Wight B)

Oh, I don't know, the Welsh get everywhere ... there's probably even one or two in Eastleigh!

On 02/02/2017 at 17:35, geraint said:

Hey, that is my home town city you're talking about, you know!

it's a lot better than it was a few years ago, now that the new Friars Walk Shopping Centre is up and running. I do agree, though, that there still is room for improvement in some areas, and thankfully the people who have to do the work now realise that.

On 2/3/2017 at 00:39, Don Regiano said:

The Works in Buxton have Margaret MacMillan's The War that Ended Peace for £3.

A good book at that price and a better read than the Sleepwalkers!

I've just picked up a copy of Gas Gas Quick Boys for £7 and the Sisters of the Somme for £3 in the Gateshead Metro Centre branch today.

Michael

Dear GWF book-collectors,

I have a pile of four Great War books on the bedroom side-table; plus a row of three recently-purchased books on the same subject in the Den (formerly Kinderzimmer).

The problem is, I have great difficulty finding not only the time, but also the opportunity of reading them!

My daughter-in-law kindly sent me "Leachman: O.C. Desert", and the saga of that gallant officer (although apparently not a Nice Man) will be read comme il faut...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Charlie,

Yes, but it is a small bedroom side-table!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

The Works at the Woodlands Garden Centre near Hinckley, have 'Elegy-The First Day on the Somme' by Andrew Roberts in hardback at £4 (published at £20).  Also 'The Salient' by Alan Palmer in paperback at £3.

Mike.

A bit ' off topic' as this book is available at WHS Smith not the Works.  It is ' The Somme and Verdun - 1916 Remembered ' by Major Gen. Julian Thompson. Published by Andre Deutsch in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum. As well as some great text and pictures it contains  removable copies of rare documents, memorabilia and a 65 minute audio CD of vetreans first hand accounts, Normally retailing at £40 this is a real bargain at only £5 !!  I found this in the Epsom branch but I would assume that it's available in other WHS Smith stores.

Currently in the Reading branch Andrew Roberts book on the Somme 'Elegy' is available for £4 and that great old warhorse 'The Guns of August' is there for £3

David 

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen a Quintishill book and a Grays (Thurrock) book at the Edinburgh branch. Pretty cheap.

Just bought The Quintinshill Conspiracy and Pioneers of Aerial Combat (Air battles of the First World War) at the Southampton branch. £5 each. Two more books to add to my pile to read.

• 4 months later...

The Works in Weston-Super-Mare, has 'The Lost Tommies' by Ross Coulthard, this huge tome was published at £40 and now reduced to £20.

Also 'Breakdown' - The Crisis of Shell Shock on The Somme 1916, by Taylor Dowling reduced to £6 from £25.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

SOMME 141 days 141 lives

Only £7.00 at the works

Has anybody read it can anybody recommend it ?

51eMqkxMLOL.jpg

Ray

• 5 months later...

Slaughter On The Somme Mace &Grehan now reduced from the blue ticket (orig £16.99) price of £6.00, to the now red ticket price of £4. Bangor Stores today.

Hurry, hurry, hurry! when they're gone....

20 something year old vendor told me that he'd bought it for £6.00 and had enjoyed it. He gave me a synopsis and an opinion.

Now! Come on! How many retail employees do you know who could honestly tell you that they had bought, read and were seriously influenced by an academic Great War book? I felt as if I'd met a version of myself, forty years ago...! I'm not sure if I like the analogy.

And worth noting, The Works do a 'Loyalty' card which although isn't a huge incentive to shop with them is quite good.  I usually use whatever I've collected on it to buy sticky tape etc

The seem to send me e-mails regularly offering benefits for having a card.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard van Emden's The Road to Passchendaele is on offer at the Reading branch for £6

David

Yes, also spotted in Stratford upon Avon branch today, is in a slightly smaller format than the original.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

On 8/9/2017 at 20:27, RaySearching said:

SOMME 141 days 141 lives

Only £7.00 at the works

Has anybody read it can anybody recommend it ?

51eMqkxMLOL.jpg

Ray

£6 round here

Grabbed Van Emden's 'The Road to Passchendaele' for £6 at the MacArthur Glen designer outlet (near Bridgend).

Bernard

A few at the Newbury branch:

Somme Mud - E P F Lynch - £3

Passchendaele 1917 - C McNab - £10

The Road to Passchendaele - R van Emden - £6

Edited by Phil Wood

Manchester Arndale:

The Road to Passchendaele - R van Emden £6 (just bought a copy)

Somme 141 days 141 lives - Alexander Churchill £7

The First World War Remembered - Gary Sheffield £10

Edited by Gardenerbill
typo

• 2 weeks later...

The branch in Rugby has 'Trench - A History of Trench Warfare on the Western Front' by Stephen Bull (2017).  Looks like a compilation of some earlier Osprey titles, with a number of

excellent coloured line drawings of clothing and equipment.  A comprehensive introduction to life in the trenches on both sides.

Was £25, a snip at £7.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH